Crapo... MBP screen

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all

At last, after numerous weeks of waiting for my 17 inch MBP to come in at my local apple retailer et happened! So off I go to get it. In the store I decide to open it to make sure all is right. Thats when what I feared happened: It had two bright strips across the display... I refused it so I will be geting a new one tomorow. I hope it is ok.

Nic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Smart move checking it in store. A lot of people don't think to do that. I wish resellers did the same. My brother got sent an iMac from a reseller with a bad Ram chip and it wouldn't boot. I mean really, how long does it take to turn the damn thing on and check before wasting customer's travel time?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hi all,

Just wanted to report that I've got the new one. It's PERFERCT. Not one problem with it (exept a little sticky Return key). I love it, the thing is fast and silent. The display is great and real brite.

Worth the wait
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    I have mine for several weeks and it's been perfect!!! Heat seems to no longer to be a problem. Mine runs at 39 ambient at it's hottest so far.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm puzzled by the quality control at wherever Apple has its laptop screens put together.

It seems like there is a lot of variation in the evenness of backlighting, but how many variables are in play when it comes to assembling same?

Don't the pieces all go in the same place? Aren't the cold cathode fluorescent bulbs pretty consistent in their output, and if not wouldn't that become immediately evident and trivial to address? Are the inverters a crap-shoot? Is there some kind of back-plane diffusion reflection thing that just gets shoved in there willy-nilly?

Really, I don't get it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

I'm puzzled by the quality control at wherever Apple has its laptop screens put together.

It seems like there is a lot of variation in the evenness of backlighting, but how many variables are in play when it comes to assembling same?

Don't the pieces all go in the same place? Aren't the cold cathode fluorescent bulbs pretty consistent in their output, and if not wouldn't that become immediately evident and trivial to address? Are the inverters a crap-shoot? Is there some kind of back-plane diffusion reflection thing that just gets shoved in there willy-nilly?

Really, I don't get it.

I agree. Design is so nice it's a shame to have such poor manufacuring standards. I've the C2D MBP and the keyboard is wavy where the keys are installed sloppy. I 've noticed this on my Compaq notebooks at work but was hoping for more from Apple. Otherwise this machine is fantastic and overall I'm very pleased with it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Unfortunately, Apple's screens are no different than the brands used by all other companies. It's all marketing. They're all coming from China or a similarly "more economical" location.

it's a crapshoot.