iTunes - How To auto remove dead entries?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello everyone.

I'm starting to use iTunes for my favorite MP3 albums. What I want to know how to do is:

Automatically have iTunes check my library of MP3 albums and remove entires which no longer link directly to a real MP3 file. I don't keep my MP3s in the iTunes folder. I keep them in my own directory system elsewhere and sometimes I move the files and folders around.

Is there a built-in or add-on function on iTunes for this? I am using iTunes for Windows XP on my PC. On my MAC, I use the iTunes folder, so no problem on that end.

<<< FREUDIAN >>>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm too lazy and in a hurry to get to lunch right now to Google for it now, but I remember finding an AppleScript script you can run which will hunt down and delete the dead track entries for you. "Doug's AppleScripts" is what I seem to remember you should look for.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Okay, just to make it easy on you...

Super Remove Dead Tracks v1.5
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks Shetline.

I found Doug's Apple Scripts but I couldn't find the script you found. You have made it very easy for me and I thank you. I just hope this works on the PC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

Okay, just to make it easy on you...

Super Remove Dead Tracks v1.5

• Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freudian

Thanks Shetline.

I found Doug's Apple Scripts but I couldn't find the script you found. You have made it very easy for me and I thank you. I just hope this works on the PC

I'll take a guess that your smiley means you know exactly how effective an AppleScript will be on a PC. \

However, iTunes for the PC is scriptable through a COM interface, and you can do pretty much exactly the same things through COM with iTunes on Windows that you can do with iTunes on OS X through AppleEvents. I don't know if there's an equivalent "Doug's VB Scripts" out there in the world, but one can hope. With a little technical skill, you could also translate the AppleScript into VB or JavaScript for the PC.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Hmm, interesting topic. Does anyone know if there's a way to "repair" links to whole albums at a time isntead of track-by-track?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ya, so I just found out you can't do it on PCs. I didn't think it would work but I was hoping. I got it working on the eMac, but I didn't need it there. Oh well. At least know I know some more things