Source: Three iPods on Apple roadmap for 2007

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As it stands, Apple Computer hopes to introduce three new iPod models during the 2007 calendar year, AppleInsider has learned.

A source often familiar with the Cupertino, Calif.-based company's music plans says a copy of its current roadmap calls for three distinct models to make their debut at various intervals throughout the new year.

First and foremost is said to be a video-centric model that will either replace or supplement the aging fifth-generation iPod, though details of the two other models are unclear at this point.

Still, it could be some time before this much rumored "true video iPod" makes its debut, if at all.

People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has so far been unwilling to commit the marketing and other resources necessary to bring the device to market.

That is, they say, until he can more adequately assess real-world reaction to the company's new iTunes movie service and iTV set-top box, following the release of the device early next year.

In a much overlooked statement issued by Apple vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing Greg Joswiak in October, the exec did his part in attempting to reset expectations of further iPod announcements in the near term.

"The new iPod shuffle completes our all-new lineup of iPods for this holiday season and beyond," he said in a statement to members of the media when announcing availability of the company's most affordable iPod to date.

Over the next several weeks, Apple will become an increasing focus of the mainstream media as it attempts to get a lead on the company's plans for the annual Macworld gathering during the second week of January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Do you think Jobs expected most of the movie studios to be aboard for this holiday season? It took the TV studios ta year to come aboard but that is a different market type altogether.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    I bet one of the three is a phone....
  • Reply 3 of 63
    why should apple be like every other company and break it if it's fixed? is there something inherently wrong with their current iPod lineup, so much so that it requires a complete revamp of their lineup? for what?

think about it for one second and hark back a year or two when people were clamoring for an iPod with an FM radio; with a satellite radio add-on; with a feature that could locate the nearest 17 iPods within a 3.5-mile radius; and so on. kind of lame features now, don't you think?

it's no wonder that jobs can sleep at night with all the crappy add-ons people have recommended, and that he has so vehemently prevented from contaminating a device that does one thing, and does it very, very well.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

I bet one of the three is a phone....

What makes you think that? I haven't heard anything about Apple making a phone.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

Seriously. Where did he pull that one from?
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Dammit. When is this supposed real video iPod supposed to come out then? Promises, promises. Last I heard, the Apple event in January was supposed to be the target date. I've had a couple hundred set aside ever since my main iPod got rain damage. I've been languishing with a shuffle (handy, but not when I've got 5000 songs). If they don't release this thing soon, I'm gonna go crazy.

And you know that if I cave and just buy a 5G, the new one will be released the next week.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChipT

And you know that if I cave and just buy a 5G, the new one will be released the next week.

Happened to me with the fourth gen. urg!
  • Reply 8 of 63
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

First and foremost is said to be a video-centric model that will either replace or supplement the aging fifth-generation iPod, though details of the two other models are unclear at this point.

Still, it could be some time before this much rumored "true video iPod" makes its debut, if at all.

So he should delay it. Without TV shows & movie services in place globally the 'aging 5G iPod' and the 'true' one are all but pointless. The clear market for these is TV shows on the train to work (not sure about Movies). He also needs to get proper pseudo-TV channels up & running on iTS, at the moment normal TV is still where I decide what to get, and a decent multi-show pricing model to compete with existing channels.

Unfortunately for Steve unless he releases these service-less (outside of the US) devices soon the average consumer, who buys stuff in specifications not capability, will be lured to the Zune which has those specs now.

McD
  • Reply 9 of 63
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Hurry up and get it already then! The rest of us are holding off too.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52

Hurry up and get it already then! The rest of us are holding off too.

lol. no. I'll wait for someone else to jump the gun so I don't have to.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave

Unfortunately for Steve unless he releases these service-less (outside of the US) devices soon the average consumer, who buys stuff in specifications not capability, will be lured to the Zune which has those specs now.

McD

Huh? The Zune isn't available outside the US (and Canada?) yet and has no video or TV services at all.

I agree Apple needs to add these services outside the US before they can expect them to sell but people won't be turning to Zune as an alternative, because it isn't, even in the USA.

In the UK today, Sky (Owned by News International aka Fox aka Myspace.com aka Rupert Murdoch) and Google inked up a deal to distribute Sky TV content via services from Google and give all of Sky's 8+ million customers services via Google including email, IM and VoIP. That's Apple's competitor.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has so far been unwilling to commit the marketing and other resources necessary to bring the device to market.

That is, they say, until he can more adequately assess real-world reaction to the company's new iTunes movie service and iTV set-top box, following the release of the device early next year.

So don't release these new iPods if reaction to iTunes movie downloads and iTV is lackluster. Well what about the folks who hold out on downloading movies or deciding to purchase an iTV until a new iPod is unveiled? Surely there has to be people out there with that type of mindset.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

HAHA

It think December 5th was offically iPhone day here on AI.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Then could you please do us a favor and buy a damn 5G already...

EDIT: sorry oneof52, I now see you beat me to it.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

I won't buy another iPod unless it's the true video iPod. Assess that Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

I won't buy another iPod unless it's the true video iPod. Assess that Mr. Jobs.

I'll be honest, I've never under this "iPod w/Video" and "true video iPod" nomenclature. In what way would the latter differ over the former? In other words, what features would make a video-capable iPod "true"?
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:

Surely the other two models would be the iPod phones. They are being described as iPods with phone capabilities as opposed to the other way around, right?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

I'll be honest, I've never under this "iPod w/Video" and "true video iPod" nomenclature. In what way would the latter differ over the former? In other words, what features would make a video-capable iPod "true"?

A screen worth watching video on. In other words an iPod with a "big" widescreen display. Touch screen/bezel interface.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

Widescreen w/ better resolution. I'm holding off too -- and I still have a 1st gen iPod!
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianMojo

Widescreen w/ better resolution. I'm holding off too -- and I still have a 1st gen iPod!

Gotcha.

I understand now....

Just like on the "Profits will never be in the Black", "Doodoo Brown", and "Squirt White" Zunes.