Why doesn't the iPod have a camera?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Practically every other Apple product has a built-in webcam. The iPod can already display photos. Apparantly the iPhone will have a camera. So why isn't there an iPod with a camera yet?

Edit: I'll be the first to say I always though cell phones having cameras didn't make much (if any) sense. However that said, the iPod having a camera doesn't make any less sense. It would give the photo-viewing capability a bit of a boost in usefulness.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Because a camera adds complexity and takes space, conflicting with the proven iPod mantra of "simple and small."
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    because an iPod (today) is an MP3 player.

errr, that also shows notes, plays simple games, and plays movies..

ah, never mind.

I think we'll see the iPod evolve a bit in 2007, perhaps become a phone/ichat client....nobody knows but Ive and co.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    I don't want an iPod with a camera, if for listening to music!

All in one devices are not the way to go. As soon as you want to improve one part of your multifunction device (say better resolution for the camera or large memory capacity) you have to bin the whole thing.

I prefer to have the best of breed in each device, then I can upgrade then as required.

Ian
  • Reply 4 of 6
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    ^^ I see your point about all-in-one devices. But since my camera is an $900 Nikon (and somewhat bulky), I don't carry it with me everywhere. My iPod, on the other hand, is usually with me, so if I had the urge to snap a photo having a camera in it would be nice.

Maybe that's the rationale behind cameras in phones.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Maybe that's the rationale behind cameras in phones.

The rational for cameras in phones is for mobile carriers to find more ways to milk money out of their customers.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

The rational for cameras in phones is for mobile carriers to find more ways to milk money out of their customers.

I'd have to agree. Photos taken on the phone cameras are pretty much worthless.