When can we expect Microsoft Internet Explorer 6

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, lots of you people are a bit biased against Microsoft. This thread is not supposed to be about that.

I was wondering, while building a site, and looking at it with Explorer and Chimera, that Chimera actually often does a better job at displaying (I mean, it's real cocoa, I have the impression: e.g. input type = "submit" in Explorer gives you this OS 9 - ish button, whereas Chimera makes it one of those nice lickable ones.).

On the other hand, Chimera is buggy (and badly so, I know this is not even a 1.0 but still, e.g. everytime i press apple-n to open a new window, I get all kinds of psychedelic looking windows that seem to have run straight out of a freshman's ProjectBuilder Project).

And of course, Explorer is still the number one is consumer land. So when is Explorer going to go 6, and what good will that do?

Will they finally go cocoa?

Will they get faster?

???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    <a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/news/msieupdate2.html"; target="_blank">http://www.thinksecret.com/news/msieupdate2.html</a>;

The only info anyone's got, so far . . .
  • Reply 2 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    IE will NEVER go cocoa until X has &lt;70% share of the mac market

no way MS is going to re-write it until then and even then i doubt it
  • Reply 3 of 10
    actually the ms mac business unit seems to be

comprised of people who do write good software

haven't tried ie6 yet on my win2k box but if they

do make one i hope it will implement tabbed browsing & pop-ups control

i really like way konquerer implements it

so far ie5.2 on 10.2.1 seems to be running ok

didnt notice any speed diff but then again i find

a ti800 slow at times ( again could be simply me)

lol asking a ms q here is asking for trouble

ive just recently started using a mac & found that

rate of bigotism amongst mac users is ridiculous.........some of apples stuff is good & some crappy just like on other platforms
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Unless IE6 has tabbed browsing, I'm not using it. Doubt it will be faster than Chimera either.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ms may implement it (tabs) but not popup blocking

i use ie5.5 & moz 1.0 under win2k....

tab browsing does get addictive after a while
  • Reply 6 of 10
    forgot to mention it....but isnt the carbon api

for backward compatibility ?

apple will eventually drop support so companies

will have no choice but to move to cocca

kinda like win16 vs win32
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Apple will never drop Carbon. Think Adobe is going to rewrite Photoshop? Illustrator? Don't count on it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by madmax559:

<strong>isnt the carbon api for backward compatibility ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but is that its only purpose? NO.

Carbon is perfectly valid for native Mac OS X-only software. Some code written in Carbon will perform BETTER than than code written in Cocoa. Carbon is a peer with Cocoa, even more so in 10.2 than 10.1.

This subject has been rehashed to death. I strongly suggest searching the forums for old threads about Carbon vs. Cocoa so that this doesn't ignite a flame war.

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    About ie going cocoa: the articles (there is a link to another article in the linked article...) pointed to by cinder actually said as such that the 'mac business unit' of explorer rewrote lots of the application to make it faster AND that they dropped support of OS 9 (i.e. they will most likely never release an update again - and true: classic is stuck at 5.1).

These two could point to cocoa.

Another nuisance: one version of the PHP manual (of PHP.org) consists of 2000+ HTML files dumped in one folder. Some file-titles are longer than allowed in OS 9 (these PHP people are clearly UNIX adepts). It's a pain, first to unpack them without damaging them (i.e. clipping names).

Then, if you get them unpacked, very often, explorer will say: file not found, because for some reason, it does not work with the new extended file titles (or maybe links to them.)

Anyway: this seems to be pointing to a bad carbonize job. (or doesn't it? maybe I'm just full of shit).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    IE in X has issues with file name with more than 32 characters only when browsing locally. This issue does not arise when requesting files from a web site that has more than 32 characters. IE in X has always been pretty half assed like that. I can't test some of my sites locally anymore because of that damn bug