Right Click: "Open with" - How do I reset the choice menu

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When I right click on a file and choose the "open with" command, I have duplicate, triplicate and quadropalate program names. I believe my mac is getting them from my FW backup drive. How do I reset this list?

TIA!!

C2D iMac 24"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

When I right click on a file and choose the "open with" command, I have duplicate, triplicate and quadropalate program names. I believe my mac is getting them from my FW backup drive. How do I reset this list?

TIA!!

C2D iMac 24"

I had the same thing happen when I moved from my iMac G4 to my iMac G5 last January. Long and short is that its a problem with the LaunchServices database placing double entries. The easiest way to fix this is to download OnyX and run the maintenance script. There is an option that says "Reset LaunchServices Database" ... make sure this is checked. Once it finishes running, restart your computer and that should fix everything!

Let me know how it goes...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Or you can run this command in the terminal:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -f -domain local -domain system -domain user "/Applications"

Then relaunch the Finder.

It comes back if you have an external drive btw. In a way it makes sense because they are a whole other set of apps but maybe there should be a system preference pane to have a cutom contextual menu. It's the same when opening anything, I usually open certain files with the same program so why generate a list of 50 or so programs that can open the file but which I am almost never likely to use to do so?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Re-set as noted above, then use the control panel Apple forgot: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/14618