Mac Mini Audio Problems and Recomendations

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got my new Core 2 MacBook, so I'm moving the PPC Mac mini out to the living room to stream videos from our other desktops.

Unfortunately, now Im getting this buzz from the audio. I have troubleshot it, and it happens when I plug it into any TV or sound device, but strangely, not with headphones. It seems like a power issue, but I don't really know what to do about it.

I guess my main question is this: Is there a fairly cheap external USB or firewire audio device that I could connect that anyone recommends that is Mac compatible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GogDog

I just got my new Core 2 MacBook, so I'm moving the PPC Mac mini out to the living room to stream videos from our other desktops.

Unfortunately, now Im getting this buzz from the audio. I have troubleshot it, and it happens when I plug it into any TV or sound device, but strangely, not with headphones. It seems like a power issue, but I don't really know what to do about it.

I guess my main question is this: Is there a fairly cheap external USB or firewire audio device that I could connect that anyone recommends that is Mac compatible?

It looks likes a ground loop problem. One way to bypass it is to use optical audio cable.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I was thinking the same thing about it being a ground problem. The PowerPC mac minis don't have optical, right?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GogDog

I was thinking the same thing about it being a ground problem. The PowerPC mac minis don't have optical, right?

Sorry, that was a brain fart on my port, I forgot the PPC minis didn't have optical.

It's a little pricey, but this might do the trick:

http://sewelldirect.com/Xitel-Audio-...p-Isolator.asp
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fasteddyfasteddy Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It looks likes a ground loop problem. One way to bypass it is to use optical audio cable.

Yes ... cheaply = M-Audio USB Transit with the SPDIF digital optical output.

For better quality (24 bit 96K or 192K DAC) you need to spend about 2X or more and go with FireWire.