Parallels and OS X Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So....when the leopard changes its spots...has anyone ever thought that perhaps Parallels (the company) is some kind of Apple funded / subsidiary that is working on getting the bugs worked out of a core piece of OS X Leopard through a heavy public beta skunk works project? OR am I just drinking too much Blue Moon tonight?

Kind of an interesting thought though....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    You're drinking too much Blue Moon.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Apple is developing their own version which will be called collaterals.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Actually Apple is funding Blue Moon as a way of diverting you from their real objective.

• Reply 4 of 10
    Apple has a history of copying into the OS 3rd party applications. Whether this is deliberate or just because they recognize the same needs is an open question. But Paralells delivers Mac, Windows, and Linux products. And Apple gains little by buying Paralells. If you're making a computer choice and $99 for a copy of XP doesn't sway you, then I'd hope that $70 for Paralells doesn't either.

Apple can't do much to speed along Paralells, except assigning extra people to the project. Apple's kernel is pretty much open, and it's pretty open about its developer APIs. Additionally, most of the "secret" APIs have been found already (as far as we know), in contrast to Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

And Apple gains little by buying Paralells. .

Apple can't do much to speed along Paralells, except assigning extra people to the project.

Apple gains many months of open beta experience, a group of heavy duty hard core mac programmers....and everyone knows that apple buys almost every developer shop (for mac) over 49 people. I have no idea how many people work for Parallels, but ..

i still think its a black box funded project by apple. big beta for leopard. but no one knows but those that 'own' it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Lay off the Blue Moon

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 10
    What is Blue Moon? or do you mean moonshine?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    It's a delicious imitation White Belgian beer.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

It's a delicious imitation White Belgian beer.

correct. although brewed by Coors Molson, it is a pretty decent imitation of a Belgian beer. Nothing is as good as Belgian beer, except for some Czech beers which I really love. The order of love (beer) is Czech, Belgian, German...and a blasphemous Scot beer called Belhaven. Scots don't brew beer well, except for Belhaven. mmmm.

back on topic....i still think Parallels will be or is Apple, a black ops spot for a big beta. that would be the biggest coup in recent tech history. January 10th, Jobs says "...and this Parallels company, oh, yeah, we own and funded that from the beginning. Starting with Leopard...built in support for windows applications. We bug tested this thing since August 2005, its flawless...and so smooth."

i'll go back to drinking my agave.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

correct. although brewed by Coors Molson, it is a pretty decent imitation of a Belgian beer. Nothing is as good as Belgian beer, except for some Czech beers which I really love. The order of love (beer) is Czech, Belgian, German...and a blasphemous Scot beer called Belhaven. Scots don't brew beer well, except for Belhaven. mmmm.

back on topic....i still think Parallels will be or is Apple, a black ops spot for a big beta. that would be the biggest coup in recent tech history. January 10th, Jobs says "...and this Parallels company, oh, yeah, we own and funded that from the beginning. Starting with Leopard...built in support for windows applications. We bug tested this thing since August 2005, its flawless...and so smooth."

i'll go back to drinking my agave.

It is possible Apple might buy Parallels out right, but I can't see it. Anyway I think Apple said they weren't interested.

Considering the Beer you might like to add Austria to the list too, Skiing and Beer (in that order), well you can't go wrong.

BTW You should check out the new Parallels Beta, everyone is talking about Leopard and Vista, I reckon the Parallels Beta is one of the best software innovation for a long time.