IE for OS X loses preferences?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have noticed this problem several times in the past. It seems that Internet Explorer will just lose all of it's preferences and trying to change the settings after this often won't stay and it just keeps losing them, but eventually it will start working normally again.

Does anybody know what causes this or if there is a surefire way to fix it or prevent it from happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    under 10.2 or 10.2.1 ?

ihavent noticed anything as yet...im running

5.2.1 under 10.2.1

could you be more specific ?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'll be more specific. In 10.2, I load up Internet Explorer. I go to my default page, CNN.com. I get a pop-up asking to set my edition. I set the US edition. I then go to visit an auction on ebay. I get a little thing that shrinks the web page telling me about it's wonderful ability to track auctions. I say "Not Now" and check the box to never ask me again. I then go and sign up for *something*, and after I submit the form, IE asks to use it as a starting place for AutoFill. So I say "OK", and fill in all the info in IE's prefs.

Now I quit IE, and launch it again, and it didn't remember a damn thing. I'd have to set the AutoFill crap again. CNN doesn't remember my edition, and IE still tries to tell me it can track auctions every time.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    How are you quitting Explorer? I had the same thing because I was quitting it either from the Dock or by logging out/shutting down.

As long as I quit it from the Application Menu, everything was fine and dandy.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    IE 5.2.1, Mac OS 10.2.1

And the post with the auction thing and stuff was dead on.

I usually quit with Command Q
  • Reply 5 of 5
    How about the old "trash preferences" trick?

com.microsoft.explorer.plist

Oh, for an alternative browser I can use: the more I play, the more I come to conclude that Explorer is a POS...