C2D or Single Core Macbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm planning on making the switch before Christmas and have got a couple of questions. I would like to use iWorks as I do newsletters and certain publications. I also do presentations off and on and would probably use Keynote quite a bit.

1. I heard that single core Macbooks (early production) suffered from RSS and overheating problems. Is the C2D a better choice? Would the 1.83Ghz make a lot of difference over the 2.0 Ghz?

2. Must I boost my RAM to 1G in order to get the job done?

3. Can I add RAM on my own?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I thought there are only dual-core macbooks...

Anyway, the faster the better. I use Keynote extensively and the more I use it, the more sophisticated my presentations, and thus the processing needs. More RAM is always better in OS X, so I'd say at least 1Gig. I have a 1.66 mac mini (basically a macbook) with 2 gigs of RAM and it's great, but I can still slow it down. Yes, RAM is easy to install on your own.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your switch! Your life will improve.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by klchan

I'm planning on making the switch before Christmas and have got a couple of questions. I would like to use iWorks as I do newsletters and certain publications. I also do presentations off and on and would probably use Keynote quite a bit.

1. I heard that single core Macbooks (early production) suffered from RSS and overheating problems. Is the C2D a better choice? Would the 1.83Ghz make a lot of difference over the 2.0 Ghz?

2. Must I boost my RAM to 1G in order to get the job done?

3. Can I add RAM on my own?

1. There are no single core Macbooks. I believe you are referring to the Core Duo which was replaced by the Core 2 Duo, both are Dual Core though, Core 2 Duo is just faster and has 64 bit. You can probably buy a Core Duo refurbished for a cheaper price, but perhaps I'm weird in the way that I always have to buy something new. :P

2. I don't think they have a Model with less then a gig anymore, and if they do, 512 MB will be fine for iWork, but if you plan on doing anything resource heavy, just go with a Gig anyways.

3. I'd rather not crack open my Macbook and find out but if you can't, Apple would be happy to do it for you, but if you just buy it with 1 Gig right off the bat you won't need to worry, and you can have it custom built with 2 GB of RAM if you want.

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The RAM is easily accessible from underneath. I believe it's under the battery.