odd sound from MacBook Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a long term PowerBook user recently (6+ months) moved to a MacBook Pro.

A few times an hour, my MacBook Pro makes a sound like a something hitting a piece of thin metal. The closest sound like it I've heard is tapping a pen against the thickest string of an acoustic guitar, with a finger on the string preventing it from resonating. Or, maybe the sound an old fashioned cuckoo clock makes just before it's going to chime -- as if a cog just slipped into a gear between two teeth. Almost a muffled/damped sort of "pong".

Yeah, sorry, that's the best way I can describe it.

Anyhow, the sound is quiet, seems to come from the left side of the keyboard (I could be wrong on this), and is pretty consistent (happening a few times an hour). The MacBook is being actively used while on AC power on a desk, not in motion other than keys being pressed.

I mentioned it to my office mate who has the same model MacBook Pro and he heard his make the same sound, so I'm not really worried about it, just curious.

It *could* be the sound of the hard drive parking itself during a period of inactivity ... but that's just my guess.

Anyone have actual information?

TIA.

Richard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    If that sound is coming from the left side of the palm rest, then it's definitely coming from the hard drive. Try disabling the "Put hard drive to sleep whenever possible" setting in Energy Saver and listen if it happens again.

The sound of the hard drive parking its heads also occurs when you shut down your notebook (so you could compare the two sounds easily).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Well, a very good suggestion gwoodpecker, I had forgotten about the "put drives to sleep" option of the Energy Saver panel.

But, unless the system doesn't respect the settings until a reboot, I'm still hearing the noise even after disabling this option.

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

Thanks for the assist. I'll keep digging.

Richard
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    You have the same problem I had along with thousands of others. If you have a Core Duo MBP, you may have the "whine."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...&highlight=mbp

I got mine fixed!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Aplnub, I have no idea why his

"A few times an hour, my MacBook Pro makes a sound like a something hitting a piece of thin metal. The closest sound like it I've heard is tapping a pen against the thickest string of an acoustic guitar, with a finger on the string preventing it from resonating. Or, maybe the sound an old fashioned cuckoo clock makes just before it's going to chime -- as if a cog just slipped into a gear between two teeth. Almost a muffled/damped sort of "pong"."

makes you think it is the whine problem solved long time ago...

The "whine" is a very high pitched sound in the 15+ kHz range and has nothing to do with a metallic sound... And it does not just happen a few times an hour, but is rather there all the time.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    It's not a whine. It's a muffled "clunk". Periodic, a few times an hour.

When it's on battery power, I get a high pitched whine with both processor cores running, but there's a utility to turn off one core ... saves power too.

I guess I'm still searching for an answer for the clunk ...