upgrading RAM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi - Hope you can help out - trying to drag my aging imac out of the dark ages...

Here's the skinny...

Slot loading G3 imac - with 128mb RAM

Just bought 256mb PC100 SDRAM from ebay

Could anyone direct me to or give me some help with the procedure for upgrading ie: do i have to reformat the hard drive and all that lark if I'm going to upgrade?

I've had a look in the door at the back and can see the RAM there just tempting me to whip it out and stick some more in but surely it's not that simple....or is it?

What's tempting is that the seller says it has "SPD - allows the system to detect the memory type"

Any help with this would be most gratefully received

cheers

yoshamuska

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    I'm not sure if this will help, but I've installed memory in G3 and G4 towers, plus memory in Dell and HP computers and all I did was turn the computers off, open up the machines, snap in the memory, close the machines back up and restart the computers, and the computers detected the memory. Maybe there's something I never experienced with installing memory, but I've never done anything but the above.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Just what I was hoping to hear!

Thanks for that RoyBoy - you're a gentleman!

If anyone has a conflicting view I'd appreciate thier input

But here's to the simple life

Regards

yoshamuska
  • Reply 3 of 4
    royboy is correct.

All you have to do is pop in the new RAM, and the system should recognize it immediately.

The iMac doesn't need matched RAM or anything of that nature, so it's very straightforward.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    That's great news - Thanks guys!

Looking forward to slightly better running and marginally less clonking