MacWereld (NL) Web Site Runs on Linux

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Probably by accident the MacWereld Admin disclosed in a post on the MacWereld Site that it Runs on Linux. He removed his post quite shortly after after I replied to find this quite interessing news as the MacWereld web site is all about Apple en explicitly states "made on a Mac'. Ever since I am dissed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Well, I guess 'Made on Mac' doesn't necessarily also mean 'Hosted on Mac'
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Well, I think it's quite odd that a site totally dedicated to Apple is not served by Apple OSX Server. Probably because OSX server is not good enough, or just can't compete wih Linux.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Axel Le Reer

Well, I think it's quite odd that a site totally dedicated to Apple is not served by Apple OSX Server. Probably because OSX server is not good enough, or just can't compete wih Linux.

Maybe the hosting facility, that they use, is a Linux shop. That's not unusual.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yea right, and Microsoft web sites run on Mac OSX Server
  • Reply 5 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Well the MacBU site probably does
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Possibly... Bill Gates was the first person to buy a Mac, afterall!

8)

Axel, you seem a bit hostile to Mac... have you tried one lately?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Well the MacBU site probably does

Office Mac is better than Office for Windbloze. The notepad is very useful, especially with the recording capability it has. Windbloze will not get that function even in 2007, though it has been on Macs for a while.

Office is still crap, though.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

Office Mac is better than Office for Windbloze. The notepad is very useful, especially with the recording capability it has. Windbloze will not get that function even in 2007, though it has been on Macs for a while.

Office is still crap, though.

Not sure how that is relevant to the current discussion but I'll have to disagree with you on this one. While Office for Mac has the Notepad, Office has a dedicated application called OneNote. I believe there are also a couple of other features in Office 2007 that make better use of your resources, I wasn't paying attention enough to get the details and I'm even less interested now.

Office is a powerful platform because of sheer amount of power and complexity behind the individual components. There are 15 Desktop components, 8 Server components, 2 services components, and a handful of Mobile components. There are also several versions and a few platforms (including Works and Office for Mac) behind that.

So basically you are saying the Mac version is better because it has ONE really nice feature, where the Windows platform has a dedicated Application that can fit into 3 pieces of hardware (PC, Tablet, and Windows Mobile phone) and be automatically synced between those using the server components and integrated into the other Apps, especially OneNote.

Microsoft only keeps the MacBU around so those that absolutely must use Macs can also use their software to some degree.

Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 10
    No Iam not hostile to Mac, I think Mac is great and Iam a big fan. I fail to understand however that a web site completely dedicated to Mac and powered by Mac is NOT running on a Mac Server but on a Linux server. This to me is totally wierd and interpreted as a disqalification of OSX server, or what?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Well, audiopollution made the point quite clearly earlier. Unless you're going to colocate, which is pretty expensive, you just buy hosted web space. Hosted web space runs on Linux. Period. (The few hosting companies that do use Macs gouge customers because they know a few Apple zealots will pay for it).

It has nothing to do with OS X's qualifications as a server: Apple.com runs on OS X and is one of the most visited sites on the internet.