Macbook Refurbished Help!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking to purchase a new MacBook from the Apple website. I was just about to pay $1049 for a brand new one with my education discount until I saw they were selling refurbished ones for $799...

The only problem is, the refurbished ones are Core Duo and the new ones are Core 2 Duo. Is getting a Core 2 Duo really worth the extra $250?

Really all I need it for is using applications such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop for designing websites, school, and playing World of Warcraft.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justinx89x

Is getting a Core 2 Duo really worth the extra $250?

Really all I need it for is using applications such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop for designing websites, school, and playing World of Warcraft.

Anybody have any suggestions?

It runs cooler so things like long term gaming may be easier if you sit it on your lap. If it's on a table then you are probably ok with the Core Duo. The Core Duo will certainly be fine with Dreamweaver and Photoshop. The saving may also help to get CS3 when it arrives.

I should say, there have been better deals than that on the refurb section. AI has a news item saying there are Macbook Pros with $1000 off.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It runs cooler so things like long term gaming may be easier if you sit it on your lap. If it's on a table then you are probably ok with the Core Duo. The Core Duo will certainly be fine with Dreamweaver and Photoshop. The saving may also help to get CS3 when it arrives.

I should say, there have been better deals than that on the refurb section. AI has a news item saying there are Macbook Pros with $1000 off.

The Core Duo is a 32 bit CPU While the Core 2 duo is a 64 bit CPU. Leopard with be fully optimized for 64 bit CPU's.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The only thing that a MacBook might not do for you is play WoW well. As for how it will run Leopard the 32 bitness of it will not hinder it in the least. That would be last on my list of concerns to be honest. If you were considering a new MacBook at first I'd recommend stepping up to the heavily discounted 15" MacBook Pros in order to get some decent WoW performance.

For myself, I have a black Macbook core duo that suits me extremely well for business use but doesn't do so well with games that require any real amount of graphic power. Is it a great machine? Hell yes! Is it perfect? Not really.

edit - on the subject of buying refurbs, I completely encourage it. You get a great machine for a great discount and I've never yet gotten one with a problem or any sort of imperfections. Your mileage may vary but I always consider whats in the "Special Deals" section before perusing the new machines.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and bought the refurbished MacBook for $799. Saves me some money so that way I can max out the HD and memory with the savings.