Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why doesn't Apple buy Adobe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Why doesn't Apple buy Adobe?

Good question. I'm genuinely sure that ceasing Premiere and Photoshop for Windoze would only lead to increased Mac sales.

Can they afford it though?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Good question. I'm genuinely sure that ceasing Premiere and Photoshop for Windoze would only lead to increased Mac sales.

Can they afford it though?

I didn't nessesarily mean them doing it for that reason, but why not buy Adobe?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    would they be allowed to, or would it create a monopoly?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    They couldn't afford to buy Adobe, and they're not selling, to boot.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

They couldn't afford to buy Adobe, and they're not selling, to boot.

They wouldn't have to sell; they're publicly-traded. Their market cap is far below Apple's. It would be possible, but risky, and dumb to buy.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I don't know if buying Adobe would represent an extreme risk, but it could attract unwanted Dept. of Justice scrutiny if Microsoft yelped loud enough.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    1. I don't think Apple's buying Adobe would constitute them being a monopoly seeing as Apple's computer market share is so low when compared to Microsoft, and in addition, Adobe is not a monopoly in it's industry, just a very dominant player.

2. I don't think Adobe is interested in selling.

3. If Apple bought Adobe, they would continue to make the product for the PC platform, at least for a while. Adobe is worth to much in the computer industry to just pull out of the PC side. Adobe would loose a hell of a lot of money if they did so, because the industry is not ready for a mass switch to mac. New or other product would emerge instead of Adobe products for Windows, albiet, many users WOULD switch to Macs.

4. Does Apple have the finances to buy Adobe?

5. If Apple were to buy Adobe, that would certainly make Aperture + Photoshop a very strong duo.

6. Aperture and Photoshop are very diffrent however. Photoshop is mainly used for graphics, NOT photography.

7. Final Cut Studio would replace Premier.

• Reply 8 of 32
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

I don't think Apple's buying Adobe would constitute them being a monopoly seeing as Apple's computer market share is so low when compared to Microsoft, and in addition, Adobe is not a monopoly in it's industry, just a very dominant player.

It would in the general sense that Apple could then do whatever the hell they wanted with 2 very important products: Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player. It would also remove much of Apple's "competition" in the sense that Premiere competes with FCP, Audition with Soundtrack Pro, Soundbooth with Logic Pro, etc.

Quote:

Does Apple have the finances to buy Adobe?

Likely not, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Quote:

Aperture and Photoshop are very diffrent however. Photoshop is mainly used for graphics, NOT photography.

Photoshop uses both and Photoshop Lightroom will be competing with Aperture.

Quote:

Final Cut Studio would replace Premier.

When that happens people shout Monopoly.

Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I think it would be a mistake for Apple to buy Adobe. It's healthy to have a number of companies doing similar things in the market. It keeps the juices flowing!
  • Reply 10 of 32
    A Monopoly a day invites the Judges in to play

We can't have that can we?

Sebastian
  • Reply 11 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    This comes up frequently and I have to ask why.

Adobe has done well but they aren't a very good match for Apple. We've moved beyond days where

desktop publishing rooled the roost. I don't see much upside in Apple buying Adobe. It would be cheaper just to develop the apps. Photoshop is nice and mature but it's still rife with legacy crud.

I'd rather see Apple compete with Adobe rather than try to purchase them and trim the excessive fat.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

I'd rather see Apple compete with Adobe rather than try to purchase them and trim the excessive fat.

Yep and they can push each other instead of having a One Sided Monopoly

Sebastian
  • Reply 13 of 32
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Adobe market cap is $25 billion, which means that a takeover would probably cost $40 billion. I think that Apple would be better served spending $40 billion on new products instead.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Adobe market cap is $25 billion, which means that a takeover would probably cost $40 billion. I think that Apple would be better served spending $40 billion on new products instead.

Wow, I never knew Adobe Systems was worth that much.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Wow, I never knew Adobe Systems was worth that much.

Well how could you not know they are worth a lot?

Adobe now owns Macromedia which means they control Flash Player and ActionScript.

Adobe owns the PDF standard, and the standard way of viewing PDFs: Adobe Reader

Adobe owns Photoshop, one of the most popular Apps of all time, and they are currently expanding the brand.

Adobe owns Dreamweaver AND GoLive, the 2 most popular Web Design Apps as far as I know.

Adobe owns Acrobat. the way to create PDF files.

Adobe owns Flash, the way to create Flash anything.

See where I'm going with this?

Sebastian
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Well how could you not know they are worth a lot?

"A lot" is fairly vague statement when you're talking about the value of a big business. I just didn't think it was that high into the billions.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

"A lot" is fairly vague statement when you're talking about the value of a big business. I just didn't think it was that high into the billions.

That's not really a surprising sum to me.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Haha... sorry, I typed that rather in a rush. I wasn't quite sure what to put in that statement anyways at the time.

My general point is Adobe is too large to simply be bought out by Apple, and as in above posts, it would get the Federal Anti Trust Goons after Apple.

Sebastian
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Haha... sorry, I typed that rather in a rush. I wasn't quite sure what to put in that statement anyways at the time.

My general point is Adobe is too large to simply be bought out by Apple, and as in above posts, it would get the Federal Anti Trust Goons after Apple.

Sebastian

True. On a totally unrelated matter I'm getting damn sick of the blue Aqua.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Use the Graphite Color Scheme then

Then hopefully Illuminous will be along to save the day.... in Leopard

Sebastian