New iMac(to me anyway)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey Guys,

First post after being a lurker for some time now. I've owned a view macs with my macbook being my current model. I decided to step up to the plate and get an used iMac G5 20inch iSight, from a guy who lives near me. The computer was a refurb so it currently has its remaining one year warranty from Apple. I know when you buy a computer with Applecare there is a large, long ordeal into changing over the Applecare information to the new owner. My question is: Since it technically doesn't have Applecare, are we still going to have to go through that? I'll be buying the Applecare myself later on, closer to the date the current warranty expires. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And i promise to post more in the future. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Clarify your questions..
  • Reply 2 of 12
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    He wants to know since he bought the computer from someone else, will he have to go through a long ordeal of getting AppleCare because it doesn't already have AppleCare.

Simple Answer: No

Complex Answer: Nope

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 12
    If the computer is over a year old you wont be able to get Applecare.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Ok, I'll clarify my question. The computer is still under Apple's manufacturers warranty. (the 1yr one) It will be expiring in March of next year. The seller didn't buy the extended warranty from Apple, I want too. Is this going to be a problem from Apple. I was under the impression that as long as the computer had ONE remaining day of the manufacturers warranty, you were still able to purchase the extended warranty. Is that not correct? Sorry if that didn't come out correctly.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Yes it's correct. You can, enjoy.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Thanks for the help!!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RyanEan

Thanks for the help!!

I love a happy ending...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ok not to beat a dead horse but, my iMac is coming in today. The guy i bought it from did the 7way delete and then set up a basic user account name and password. Is it possible to erase the drive and reinstall Tiger so i can do the set up myself? Not only that i want to see the cool intro video again
  • Reply 9 of 12
    So look what just came in the mail!!!! Man am i happy. Finally back into the mac world.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54899083@N00/326314704/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54899083@N00/326314707/
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

So look what just came in the mail!!!! Man am i happy. Finally back into the mac world.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54899083@N00/326314704/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54899083@N00/326314707/

Congrats man!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

ok not to beat a dead horse but, my iMac is coming in today. The guy i bought it from did the 7way delete and then set up a basic user account name and password. Is it possible to erase the drive and reinstall Tiger so i can do the set up myself? Not only that i want to see the cool intro video again

As long as you have the install disc. Reformat the hard drive (probably don't need to do 7 pass again).
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Yes, it's possible, and easy when you know how.

You have to boot up into Disk1 that comes with your Mac (the gray one), by putting in Disk 1, restarting your Mac while holding down the "c" key. Then you choose the English language, I think you click Install then, and then from the menu bar you choose Utilities > Disk Utility.

When in Disk Utility, choose "Machintosh HD" from the left source pane > Click on the "Erase" tab (near top of Window) > click on "Security Options" > choose "Zero Out Data" > ok > Erase button on the bottom right > ok. This will take about about 5 minutes I suspect. Then Quit Disk Utility, and start your Install > Pick Machintosh HD as destination Volume.

Now if I was you I would choose "Custom Install" as you can leave out all the Printer drivers and Languages you will never use, they take up a shit load of Space and you will never use them.

Enjoy!