n00bsauce

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone- I just ordered a MBP and it will be my first ever Apple computer. I was wondering if there was a site or link somewhere that would give me a walkthrough on how everything basically operates with the Mac OS. I've been using PCs for years and can't wait to rid myself of the Microsoft stronghold, yet I am a bit overwhelmed by the totally new system I am about to take on. I appreciate any help, and appologize if this question has been asked 100 billion times.

EDIT: I also plan to use a Sprint wireless broadband card. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks again.

Cheers- Seed

Comments

• Reply 2 of 7
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

erm, try http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/tiger/

I think you'll find that you need less preparation than you think. Really, just empty your mind and let intuition take over. The help sections are also useful at that level, although they suck otherwise. And you can always ask us; only a 5% chance of flaming.

And you were never in MS stranglehold, they only made you believe that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    And this sauce is undercooked and lumpy. I want a new sous chef!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks guys- I actually got it this morning (less than 20 hours from when I ordered it!) and have been on it all day. I LOVE this thing- I read the tutorials on the apple site, this is much easier than I thought it would be. I got a lot more to figure out I'm sure, but so far so good! Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be around with more n00b like questions for a while lol.

Cheers- Seed
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Is there any type of upkeep on these? i.e. defragging, disk cleanup, etc?

Cheers- Seed
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seed

Is there any type of upkeep on these? i.e. defragging, disk cleanup, etc?

Cheers- Seed

Er, no. Do you know how long it would take to defrag a recent hard drive? Theoretically, you can get the new version of DiskWarrior, but it's pretty much useless. HFS+ Journaled is one of the best fine systems, so it's kind of a waste. It is probably a good idea to do a re-install of the OS every year, but I haven't until recently, after 3 years, and it's only a slight boost.

First, make a disk image of your home folder, save it, and then reinstall the OS

But don't sweat this at all. Most people never, ever do this.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc

And this sauce is undercooked and lumpy. I want a new sous chef!

It's quite tangy, really. Just needs a little lemon zest.