Apple.com visitors up 21 percent this holiday season

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer last month saw more visitors to its website than any other PC manufacturer or computer electronics company, ranking high on a list of the Internet's most trafficked properties.

According to data released this week by comScore Media Metrix, the iPod maker ranked No. 13 on a list of the Web's top 50 properties, catering to nearly 34 million surfers during the 30-day period.

For Apple, that marks a more than 21 percent increase in its web reach from December 2005, the last time comScore released Web activity data for months during holiday shopping period.

In December 2005, Apple ranked No. 17 on the list, having served up web pages to just under 28 million visitors.

Yahoo-, Time Warner-, Microsoft-, Google- and eBay-owned websites comprised last month's list of the top five most popular Web properties. They were followed by sites owned by Fox Interactive Media, Ask, Amazon, Wal-Mart, and the New York Times.

Just above Apple, ranking eleventh and twelfth respectively, were Viacom Digital and Wikipedia sites.

YouTube, one of this year's industry headliners, placed behind Apple at No. 18, reaching just shy of 25.5 million visitors last month.

Web site traffic rankings for November 2006

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member

Apple beat Youtube

• Reply 2 of 22
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    It would be interesting if the groups of sites like "Yahoo! Sites" and" "Microsoft Sites" were broken down to tell how many sites were in that group. It's not really fair to compare groups of sites vs individual sites even if they are owned by one company.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    25.5 Million is not shy at all...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Does anyone know if this figure includes iTunes Store traffic?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Does anyone know if this figure includes iTunes Store traffic?

Probably. iTunes uses webkit and is basically a web browser.

http://phobos.apple.com is the iTunes Store
  • Reply 6 of 22
    So why is my YHOO doing so badly?!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So why is my YHOO doing so badly?!

Why is my apple down $5/share?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    so does the microsoft 'sites' include windows update??

Stu
  • Reply 9 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Wrong, iTunes does not use WebKit, and the iTunes Store does not use HTML.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley View Post

so does the microsoft 'sites' include windows update??

Stu

I'd bet that it does. There are also millions of people that don't know how to change their default homepage in IE. How many does that account for?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    microsoft ranks 3rd?

does this ranking take into consideration that perhaps the reason microsoft's sites are getting so many unique hits is because many microsoft users are going there trying to find patches, updates, and answers to their many microsoft related problems? i'm certainly one of them!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I am a little Leary of these numbers, mainly because I do not see sites like Drudge on here and he has a hugely popular website. Other rankings I have seen show him in the top ten of the most trafficked website.\

I do not bring this up to be political.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

iTunes uses WebObjects, not WebKit.

Also try http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M.../wa/storeFront

It asks to launch an external Application with the itms:// protocol. It used to be that you could type itms://home into the Address bar and it would launch itunes and open up the home page there. That was broken with iTunes 7 though.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I see there's a "total internet" figure for unique IP's included in the chart. If that's anywhere near accurate then:

Apple's "web market share" = 33797/173686 = 19.4%

19.4% of all the users these figures suppose to follow visited Apple's site in the period in question. Pretty sweet for something that isn't an encyclopedia (yay Wikipedia by the way) a general store or a news site. Like people are saying, the MS figure is likely bloated by all those MSN tied copies of IE on default mode and of course Windows' own update feature. I'd be surprised if OS X Software Update does it by the web!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

microsoft ranks 3rd?

does this ranking take into consideration that perhaps the reason microsoft's sites are getting so many unique hits is because many microsoft users are going there trying to find patches, updates, and answers to their many microsoft related problems? i'm certainly one of them!

I still use Windows too but I don't remember the last time I've been to their sites.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

microsoft ranks 3rd?

That could be said for Apple.com as well.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

microsoft ranks 3rd?

Hell, the reason why Apple has an increase in traffic is all us Apple Geeks who keep checking to see if the rumours we read about are in fact, true!

(Grr, the dude above me said it well---<Note to self: "read entire thread before responding!>}
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

iTunes uses WebObjects, not WebKit.

Also try http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M.../wa/storeFront

It asks to launch an external Application with the itms:// protocol. It used to be that you could type itms://home into the Address bar and it would launch itunes and open up the home page there. That was broken with iTunes 7 though.

Excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth.

Dave Hyatt from the Safari/Webkit team confirms that iTunes does not use webkit and does not render HTML.

With that said.

WebObjects is definitely the engine that runs the back-end of the store.

But WebObjects is not a rendering engine.

It looks like WebObjects is sending back XML/XUL.

iTunes uses a custom rendering engine to render the store.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth.

Dave Hyatt from the Safari/Webkit team confirms that iTunes does not use webkit and does not render HTML.

With that said.

Personally I don't know what WebObjects is anymore. I thought it was Software for creating a website before. I know that Apple sells it for $700 and gives it away for free at the same time though, because on their site (last I checked, which was a while ago) they sell it for $700 but I found it on my Intall Disc... so to that.

Sebastian
  • Reply 20 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Indeed.

Quote:

Yes. It's a custom dialect of XML akin to Mozilla's XUL or Microsoft's XAML. Sort of an XML-serialized .nib-style format.