Sharing the Mail Application

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any way to move the Mail folder (which is currently in everyone's personal libraries) to the hard disk, or preferably the system/library folder and then give the Mail application the new location of the account directory, for every user of my computer, so that we all have the same mail viewer with everyone's mailboxes.

At the moment we have to download all the mail we haven't seen, every time we check the mail, even if another user has already read it.

We don't ever recieve private emails but just for a little more privacy and security I hope it would work to set the access priveleges for the mailboxes in the Mail folder so only we could view our own emails

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I have no idea if this will work, but you could try moving the mail folder wherever you want it, then put an alias of it where it originally came from. then just change permissions on the mail folder so that other users can read and write to it, and make an alias for each of them.

Like I said, no idea if that will work, but it might be worth a try. It works with iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    The only way that I can think to do this well is to use IMAP for your mail. Not all ISPs provide this, so you may be SOL in this regard. But .mac does offer an IMAP option (it's actually the default). IMAP just means that your mail is left on the server until you move it to your computer. This allows things like web-based email and using multiple programs to check mail (like OE for windows at work and mail.app for mail at home, etc).

To set it up just requires that you create an account in mail.app with the settings (username and password). Incoming mail server is mail.mac.com and outgoing mail server is smtp.mac.com. HTH.