Moving Files From PC to Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm attempting to transfer some files from my old PC to my new MacBook OS X Version 10.4.8 and I'm having a few problems. I have connected each computer together via Ethernet and my Mac doesn't seem to be recognizing the connection. I went into System Preferences - Sharing and turned Personal File Sharing ON and turned Windows Sharing ON. I also turned my Firewall off on my old PC.

Then when I went to Finder - Go - Connect To Server, my Mac did not detect an outside connection so I attempted putting in the PC address via: smb://IPaddress/ShareName I wasn't sure what to use for the ShareName so I tried a few different things to no avail.

Is there something I'm doing wrong. It would be great to get some help, I'll only be at home with my PC for a few more days until I have to go back to college.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jewell

I went into System Preferences - Sharing and turned Personal File Sharing ON and turned Windows Sharing ON. I also turned my Firewall off on my old PC.

The first part is only for sharing from your Mac to your PC. You need to set up a shared folder in Windows. I can't remember how this is done, it took me ages to find out before because Windows help is utterly useless. Once you start reading this you'll see what I mean:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

I'm sure it's something quite straightforward in the end - something like enabling sharing which then makes a sharing item appear when you right-click a folder:

http://edserv05.its.yale.edu/ras/config_shares.htm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jewell

Then when I went to Finder - Go - Connect To Server, my Mac did not detect an outside connection so I attempted putting in the PC address via: smb://IPaddress/ShareName I wasn't sure what to use for the ShareName so I tried a few different things to no avail.

You assign the share name when you set up a shared folder. Test the connection first by pinging the IP address of the PC. You can do this in the terminal or in the Network Utility.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hey thanks for the tips.

I actually got a friend to lone me a 50 GB external hard drive that he wasn't using. I just couldn't stand having to use a PC and set up some god awful network connection.