Yay or Nay: Iomega 1 TB UltraMax Hard Drive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone know the reliability of this product? Iomega use to be an amazing asset with the zip drive many years ago but now they have kind of drifted off.

1 TB For $500.00 is an amazing deal but if they are no longer reliable I would rather not have the thing crash on me as I plan on using it for my jukebox.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I'd like to know the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    True story: Back when the 1GB Jaz drives were still in use, my drive caught on fire while I was at work. They had some serious quality control issues.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Well I remember Jaz was not the hottest of products (no pun intended) but lately they haven't gotten a lot of press (good or bad) so I dunno what to think of them now. As I mentioned they just kind of faded off and there is very little that the public or press has said about them. Kind of makes me wonder how they have stayed in business but that's a topic for another discussion.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    CompUSA has the Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo Edition 1TB Hard Drive for $399.99 after $60 mail-in rebate this week. 8)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You can even get a Lacie 1TB drive for $500 or less. They are a bit noisy though, you might be better with 2x500GB.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I didn't think Iomega was still in business.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Iomega re-brands stuff now with a markup. You can find what you need for cheaper as long as Iomega products are not on sale. Then they are priced pretty competitively.