• Reply 1 of 12
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    It looks fake to me.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

It looks fake to me.

Then it is faked on Google. I found it a little south of McMinnville, OR, where SE Amity Rd intersects and ends at SE Latayette Hwy.

• Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortthewiz View Post

Check out this huge Firefox logo on a Oregon farm field:

http://www.intrepidearth.com/tour/06...hp?loc=default

Quote:

It looks fake to me.

Have you been living under a rock??

This was done a while ago.

Get with the program.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I found it a little south of McMinnville, OR, where SE Amity Rd intersects and ends at SE Latayette Hwy.

I was considering driving over to see it today, but likely I wouldn't see anything from the road. However, it is also close to the air musium where the Spruce Goose now resides, and the Evergreen airport. Now if my license were current I could rent a single engine plane.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

It looks fake to me.

If you enlarge the image to the maximum, It looks like the Firefox symbol is taller than the ground. I suspect that it was made elsewhere and laid out on the field. There are shadows suggesting a morning sun, in the north eastern sky. We are far enough north so that the summer sun rises in the north eastern sky, not eastern. The picture is likely 4 months or more old. That's my guess.

• Reply 6 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

If you enlarge the image to the maximum, It looks like the Firefox symbol is taller than the ground. I suspect that it was made elsewhere and laid out on the field. There are shadows suggesting a morning sun, in the north eastern sky. We are far enough north so that the summer sun rises in the north eastern sky, not eastern. The picture is likely 4 months or more old. That's my guess.

That's an optical illusion, the same one that makes many folks think crater pictures are actually bumps, or old style round head rivets, pits. Force your brain to acknowledge that the sun is in the south side of the picture and suddenly the shadows look correct and you have a recessed design. And that pic is a year or two old, (2004 to be exact) well before FF2.0 release. Most likely taken in very-early afternoon from nearly nadir (directly overhead).

For more, follow the jump:http://lug.oregonstate.edu/index.php...Firefox_Circle
  • Reply 7 of 12
    if you look a below the firefox sign, you will see some cars and a plane, i think the plane is rentable, maybe to view the sign from the air, i don't think the sign would be recognizable from ground level.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Rent a plane all you want, the crop circle was gone two years ago after the harvest. Even if it had been this year the harvest would have obliterated it two months ago. Even the web cannot set back the impermanence of cultural landmarks in the real world. Especially those made in a field of food.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Rent a plane all you want, the crop circle was gone two years ago after the harvest. Even if it had been this year the harvest would have obliterated it two months ago. Even the web cannot set back the impermanence of cultural landmarks in the real world. Especially those made in a field of food.

It appears you are off by two years. It all started at OSCON 2006, which took place at the Oregon Convention Center here in Portland. Some Oregon State students had the event planned by August 3, 2006, and the crop circle was constructed during the weekend of August 12th and 13th.

A quick check on the construction date is found at:

http://www.thefoxtales.net/firefox/crop-circle

This page was posted on August 14th, the day after the circle was completed. To find the other dates I mentioned, you need to go to your link, which you posted on the 24th, and follow some of its links.

• Reply 10 of 12
    I'll buy that date I guess. I guess time has flown over the past couple months, I could swear that it was from a couple years ago, but on further review it's not.

I will pass some of the bust onto the OSU Users Group that have 2004 as their pages copyright date, and that 2004 date in the page source as well. Linux nerds and not keeping track of the details. tsk. tsk. It's a reminder that not all sources on the web are reliable, even when they are firsthand.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I'll buy that date I guess. I guess time has flown over the past couple months, I could swear that they was from a couple years ago, but on further review it's not.

I will pass some of the bust onto the OSU Users Group that have 2004 as their pages copyright date, and that 2004 date in the page source as well. Linux nerds and not keeping track of the details. tsk. tsk. It's a reminder that not all sources on the web are reliable, even when they are firsthand.

ive seen it before, and im pretty sure it was from quite a while ago. Maybe they've done it more than once.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

ive seen it before, and im pretty sure it was from quite a while ago. Maybe they've done it more than once.

If they did I hope they keep doing it. I'm waiting for Firefox 3.0, I think the Mac version will finally use Cocoa. Either that or I was asleep and got my dreams confused with reality again when I read that page about it making use of Cocoa.... '

Can anybody confirm this? I've been using Camino because I'm not exactly a fan of XULrunner, and I don't really want to go searching through Mozilla's database again.

Sebastian

Edit: Never mind, I found this without much Effort

Quote:

Firefox 3.0 is where the big stuff happens. Firefox will use cocoa widgets and become a Cocoa-based application (in the sense that is uses NSApplication). It will have Quartz graphics rendering via Cairo.

I hope that means it will be able to access my Keychain