G5 Clusters:Moved to Intel?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just curious. Does anyone know what is going on with the G5 clusters that Apple promoted so much a few years ago? I think one was at U of I and one was somewhere East. Is Apple working with the owners to migrate them to Intel? I'm not asking for someone to do searches for me, just curious if anyone knows anything.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Their last change was from the G5 desktop to the G5 server. http://www.tcf.vt.edu/
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I always wondered about that too. It seems to me they were experiments to see how powerful they could make a G5 supercomputer on a budget. Now that they have the required performance, switching to Intel won't offer a significant advantage. An Intel version might be slower actually.

The only way it would is if Apple released an 8-core powermac in which case they should be able to reduce the number of G5s in the setup, therefore maintaining the performance but saving some money, heat and electricity.

Also RISC chips must still offer some advantages, especially if you get Altivec implemented properly.