Wireless Networking issue, can someone help?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to connect my wife's B/W 400 MHz G3 tower to our wireless network. I picked up a Belkin 54 G USB Network Adapter. I have the most recent driver set. I have upgraded the Airport software to version 3.1.

When I plug in the device even the little LED light does not come on. I have doubled checked the USB port to make sure it works. When I try Internet Connect it does not show any Airport or wireless networking options in the toolbar. My online research, three hous plus of it, has suggested that the version of Airport software I have installed supports 3rd party hardware. So I am sort of lost.

Is there a way to make this connection work? Can someone help me?

Update - I've found and installed the Ralink drivers for this device and I it is active. I have created an en(1) profile in System Preferences/Network. I have successfully launched the RALINK connection software and can successfully see all the local wireless networks, even mine.

Sounds great, right? One minor problem though, when I click on my network it presents me with a connection window. I input my WEP key and click "Okay" but nothing happens. FYI, my network is an open authentication network using a WEP key, so no WPA or TKIP or anything else to worry about.

The device is still listed as disconnected in the RALINK software interface.

Stranger still, I show on my D-Link router that the thing is trying to connect, but it can't seem to finish the authentication process.

I'm packing it in for tonight, but if anyone has any ideas I can try tomorrow that would be fantastic.