Wireless signal randomly dropped?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz and the Wireless signal level went from max to about 3 out of 15 bars and continues to be that way. I cant seem to download over 5kbs on Azureus, but when I use a cat5 cable, everything returns to normal. I believe this happened after I installed the latest Mac Software update. But didn't that update only effect QuickTime Player? Nothing was changed to the wireless router to my knowledge or any of the settings. Is there anything someone can recommend trying to help fix my wireless internet problem. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I use a cheap wireless router and the signal drops out all the time when I reach 85% of the bandwidth. I would suggest limiting the upload/download bandwidth to see if that still happens. Also, go to Starbucks or something with WiFi and download something big. $5 says you won't have any problems with your laptop.

I use a Network Everywhere wireless router. They are pretty-much the same as Linksys. I would suggest something else.

I should also point out that interference from phones and microwaves can disrupt wireless communication. When someone fires up our microwave, my internet drops off the map the entire time. (Does that also mean my microwave is leaking... )