Mounting of Network Drive at Bootup?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a good way to do this in OS X (I'm using the very latest version)? Like in Windows when you map a network drive that reconnects every time you start the computer? To clarify, this is between to Mac's . . . I'm trying to "auto-mount" a drive on my Power Mac from my iMac.

Thanks,

Ric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    First of all, mount it manually. If it asks for a password, make sure you enable it to store the password in your keychain. Then make an alias of the mounted drive. Test it by unmounting the drive and double-clicking the alias - it should mount silently. Open System Preferences->Accounts->Login Items and add the alias to the list.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    That works great. Thanks.

Not to be too picky, but is there a way to prevent the finder window from automatically opening when the volume mounts at startup? Or is there something that could be placed in the Login Items that will automatically close all the open finder windows?

Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ric232 View Post

is there a way to prevent the finder window from automatically opening when the volume mounts at startup?

Well, the problem with a folder alias is that opening it literally means opening a window in the Finder.

I'm away from any Macs right now, so I can't verify if it works the way you need and there may be mistakes below.

Tip 1. Open TextEdit and type the URL of the share like this:

Code:

afp://username:yourpassword@hostname/sharename

Select and drag it to the desktop. A file with an icon containing "@" should appear. If it opens a new window when you double-click it, it's no different than what you already have.

Tip 2. Launch Script Editor and make the following script:

Code:

tell application "Finder"

activate

mount volume "afp://username:yourpassword@hostname/sharename"

close window 1

end tell

Save this as a compiled script without a splash screen.