MacBook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just got a new MacBook, well I guess it's probably already old. Anyway,

I tried to put install my dad's Word for Mac cd on it. It didn't work, because it's a 2001

disc. Do I have to buy a whole new Word for Mac?

Anyone know?

Thx!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Runnergirlmel View Post

I just got a new MacBook, well I guess it's probably already old. Anyway,

I tried to put install my dad's Word for Mac cd on it. It didn't work, because it's a 2001

disc. Do I have to buy a whole new Word for Mac?

Anyone know?

Thx!

The most recent version of Word for Mac (and Office for Mac, well both) is 2004. Your Macbook has an Intel chip in it, which means it has to translate the PPC Chip (it was the chip used in the Mac lineups before 2006) and without going through too much Technical Junk, yeah you need a new Copy of Office for Mac. The current version though isn't very stable on Intel based Macs though because Microsoft is working on a new version for the Intel Chips. I suspect Office 2001 was also written for OS 9, as I believe the Mac OS 10 version (which was also a huge Architecture change) was called Office X, but I'm a recent switcher to Mac and wouldn't know much about Past versions of Microsoft Office, not really caring for Microsoft one bit at the moment.

You can get Office for Mac 2004 now, or wait for the new and more stable version to come out in about 6-9 months, but either way, you need to upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Yes, you need to get a newer version of Office. However, I disagree about the stability point. I run Word and Excel almost all day on my Intel iMac. Both are extremely stable. Safari unexpectedly quits more often than either of these programs. The worst behavior I notice is an occasional lag when scrolling pages.

BTW, check out the student pricing on Office. Its very nice.