newb

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, so I have been looking at getting a Mac for a while. I have only owned 2 computers (desktops) the last one I built(PIII 3ghz, 1gb ram, 6600GT) and I am currently in the market for a laptop.

So I plan on getting the MB (middle model: 2ghz, 1gb ram.. ect), I guess I should wait for the conference?

I don?t really know much about updates (speculated or not); for instance, leopard? Will this be coming out soon and be much different than what is currently out? I though a while ago I saw something about leopard on apples website?

Anyways, I am asking for advice. If they don?t update it, will a update likely happen sometime soon?

Sorry if this has been asked before..

-Derek

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    1. Wrong forum

2. Wait. MWSF is coming soon. The 9th is the keynote.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Glad you are looking at getting a Mac. I own the MB (black) .. I love it

My guess is that the MBP will get an update before the MB does... as the MB is a little to close in specs to the MBP ..IMO

Click on http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ for Lepoard info...

QUOTE=AlconR;1013515]Ok, so I have been looking at getting a Mac for a while. I have only owned 2 computers (desktops) the last one I built(PIII 3ghz, 1gb ram, 6600GT) and I am currently in the market for a laptop.

So I plan on getting the MB (middle model: 2ghz, 1gb ram.. ect), I guess I should wait for the conference?

I don?t really know much about updates (speculated or not); for instance, leopard? Will this be coming out soon and be much different than what is currently out? I though a while ago I saw something about leopard on apples website?

Anyways, I am asking for advice. If they don?t update it, will a update likely happen sometime soon?

Sorry if this has been asked before..

-Derek[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 3 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

1. Wrong forum

2. Wait. MWSF is coming soon. The 9th is the keynote.

1. Nah, he's temporarily insane. Why ask whether he should get a Macbook or not the day AFTER Christmas when he could've bought one on Black Friday

2. He shouldn't. Apple just updated them and they are not likely to update again at Macworld or even after Macworld for several months. Even if they do release a better Macbook a few months after Macworld, it's not worth waiting around because something newer and better will always be about 6 months away.

I have the exact model you speak of (Middle White Macbook, ~$1299, and it's a fantastic computer. HDD is a bit small though, but if you can afford the Black one, it has a slightly larger HDD and looks nicer then the White ones

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Well, student discount is 100$ bringing it down to $1,199. Also, I figure if I need a bigger hard drive I can get a 7200rpm one and use the original as a external backup.

I dont need too much space though as using a mac I will finally have actual working dvd burning capabilites. (I think my drive messed up, though it could be software complications)

I guess one of the reasons I want a mac is I am sitting here downloading 35.9mb quicktime (so I can see lepoard on apples website without firefox crashing) at 50mbps because I am back home on the other side of the house using wireless. I am tired of working my ass to find codecs and all kinds of things just to get stuff to play and work. I dont game any more either so I dont need something powerful.

Hopefully I can read about lepoard soon..
  • Reply 5 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

I am tired of working my ass to find codecs and all kinds of things just to get stuff to play and work.

Then you'll LOVE the Mac. I have 2 Quicktime components, Flip4Mac for WMVs, and Perian for, well, too many to name, and I can pretty much throw anything at it without much worry, because it will all work in Quicktime

I don't know What Codecs you're searching for though

Generally something will either play in DivX, Windows Media Player, or Quicktime/iTunes on the PC side...

Sebastian