Dumb Question About Ordering Photos

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have decided to take the dive and upgrade my soon to be expired itools account to a .mac account. The 100 free prints were one of the reasons i have decided to join, but i have never ordered prints from apple before and i'm a little confused about the photo size.

The prints are 4x6 inches, but my digital camera takes images at 1600x1200 pixels. Unless i'm missing something, there is no way to make a 1600x1200 image 4x6 (or 6x4) without distorting the image. Should i crop my images before sending them to apple in order to prevent them from distorting my pictures and if so what demensions are reccomended?

Does anyone know how much shipping apple will charge to have my photos shipped to Canada?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The printing service won't distort the image.

They'll either crop the photos for you, or use black bars. I'm betting they'll do an automatic crop, so it's better for you to crop your photos first. In iPhoto you can always revert any edited image back to the original.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    thanks alot

also, does it matter if the pictures are 4x6 or 6x4?

should i rotate them myself, or will the printing service do that for me?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The pictures you get through iPhoto actually turn out really well (the free 100 prints was what finally pushed me over the edge for my .Mac account too). when I ordered my first batch (free with iPhoto download ) I cropped them myself...it's REALLY easy in iPhoto (there's an option under >edit called >constrain, you just pick 4x6 or 6x4 from the dropdown, drag a box over your photo and hit the >crop button). The orientation doesn't matter either (4x6 or 6x4)...they figure it out for you.

Gotta love free stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    if you care at all about the composition of your shots, crop them to the proper aspect ratio before uploading them. No need to rotate for 6x4 vs. 4x6 shots. They do that automatically. Cropping is done automatically too, but to me composition makes or breaks a shot, so you better do it yourself. Don't worry about black bars, they don't do that.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Dug up this old topic.

Are the iPhoto Kodak prints matte or are they glossy?

I hate glossy prints and was looking at the dyesub printers but it would be cheaper just to order prints.

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeff79m

Dug up this old topic.

Are the iPhoto Kodak prints matte or are they glossy?

I hate glossy prints and was looking at the dyesub printers but it would be cheaper just to order prints.

Thanks

They are glossy prints...as almost all photo developers print on glossy film paper if you don't specify anything else.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I ordered my prints through iPhoto, and the pictures came out great. I don't know how much shipping would be, but for a few prints shipping was more than to have the photos printed.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Really? On the dyesub printes (Canon CP-200) the paper is $20 for 32 sheets, thats $.63 per sheet vs. iPhoto $.49 per 4 x 6. Also has anyone had any experience with a dyesub printers? Is the quality that much better than an ink jet? I have a very picky wife that isn't ready to switch to digital yet because photo quality prnting seems to be just not quite there yet.

I have a Epson 820 (yes I know I only spent $80 bucks what do I expect) and the prints are good on the highest setting but not quite there. Also I use a Sony DSC-S70 which is a 3.2 mp camera and I am hoping to upgrade to the soon to be released Canon A80 but in order to buy it I have to be able to show the wife that it is worth it i.e. high quality pics. Also any good suggetions for a quality ink jet that will print on matte paper like you would get at Wal-Mart and their one hour photo?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I take my compact flash card to walmart for 29 cents each(4x6) and 1 hour later it's just easier to do then use up a $36 cartridge. works very well even at medium res from my nikon 2100. I've also signed up for walmart photo online, uploaded my images then i can send cheap(29 cents each 4x6) to several dif people.