How do you delete imported tracks from iTunes on PC but keep (& add) to them on iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Help!

I have imported so many songs to my iTunes account on my PC (in ACC format) that it's

(14GB capacity) is almost maxed out (I am getting warnings every 5 mins & it keeps freezing), I have deleted all non-essential software from my PC, yet at 3.2MG my 80MG isn't exactly feeling the strain . .

Does anyone know how I can delete all CD imported tracks from my iTunes, whilst keeping (and adding to them) in my iPod ? ? ?

I have attempted to maximise the efficiency of my PC in other ways by defragging the hard drive. Please help, I am at an absolute loss!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    How about moving your iTunes library to an external drive and just pointing iTunes to that. Then you could keep all your music and it would be available to your iPod as well. If you delete the music from iTunes, it will not be there to update iPod, and iPod will erase what is already there as you update.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for definitively stating and clearing it up that there is no way to delete iTunes import without erasing them from iPod, but (not being technically minded), how do you "point iTunes in the right direction" with regard to moving iTunes music library to an external hard drive . . .

Also, when you do this, is it advisable to just move the iTunes music library? Or the entire iTunes software complete?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Try this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

Works like a charm -- this is what I do with my music, and I also have my photos on the external. Lots of room on my internal, now!

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for your help!