Has Apple bought Delicious Library?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am sure most of you are familiar with delicious library

However there has been a complete lack of news from them for a while now (the website hasn't been updated for ages, amd the last post in their blog was 15th June) however the is still activity on their forum

Does anyone else think there is a possibility that Apple has bought the program hence no updates, and no delicious library 2.0 yet as it will be part of iLife 07 in a couple of weeks? or is delicious library just dead?

stu

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    If Apple bought anybody we would know about it. Besides, why Apple? Who's to say someone else didn't buy them.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm expecting a big upgrade for 2.0

http://forums.macnn.com/delicious-monster/

A bit more activity here.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Yes, they bought it and renamed it the Apple Golden Delicious Library.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    i thought that the programmer for delicious library was hired by apple.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

i thought that the programmer for delicious library was hired by apple.

That was Michaelm800 and he was the guy that handled the UI and icons.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    delicious library just participated in some shareware software bundle deal that that caught some flak. The creator of DL did and interview and said there were a bunch of new features coming. One of which was that everything will be in a real relational database that you (or the developer) can do real database stuff with.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley View Post

Does anyone else think there is a possibility that Apple has bought the program

Absolutely not.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    DL 2 will evidently be Leopard-only. Not much point talking it up when people couldn't even buy the OS, let alone the app. DL isn't exactly Coverflow.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishpatrol View Post

DL 2 will evidently be Leopard-only. Not much point talking it up when people couldn't even buy the OS, let alone the app. DL isn't exactly Coverflow.

With that being said, I don't think we will see DL2 for another six months.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    apple 1st hired Mike Matas... then, Tim O also was hired by apple. Do not think apple acquired DL
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

If Apple bought anybody we would know about it. Besides, why Apple? Who's to say someone else didn't buy them.

Sebastian

why would we know if apple had bought them?

If I am not mistaken, no-one kew thaat apple had bought coverflow till after itunes 7 came out! Granted, Delicious Library is much bigger than coverflow, but as many have been waiting for DL 2 for so long now, and there have not been any updates, I just thought something like this might have happened.

stu
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Apple didn't buy them because as I posted above I just read an interview of the developer where he was talking about discounted sales of his software, which is not branded as apple software, which it would have to be if apple bought it, and also the next version that will be released, not as an apple branded software.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley View Post

why would we know if apple had bought them?

If I am not mistaken, no-one kew thaat apple had bought coverflow till after itunes 7 came out! Granted, Delicious Library is much bigger than coverflow, but as many have been waiting for DL 2 for so long now, and there have not been any updates, I just thought something like this might have happened.

stu

Coverflow was a seperate company

I just thought it was some cool idea they stuck in iTunes 7

Perhaps I'll start paying more attention to rumors sites like these around the time of a Keynote... 8)

Oh well, I still think it would be painfully obvious if Apple bought anybody

Sebastian
  • Reply 14 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Coverflow was a seperate company

I just thought it was some cool idea they stuck in iTunes 7

Perhaps I'll start paying more attention to rumors sites like these around the time of a Keynote... 8)

Oh well, I still think it would be painfully obvious if Apple bought anybody

Sebastian

CoverFlow wasn't a company; it was a third-party program from a small independent developer. Apple bought the rights from him.

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

CoverFlow wasn't a company; it was a third-party program from a small independent developer. Apple bought the rights from him.

Oh... Thanks

Sebastian
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

That was too bad btw.

The - no longer available - stand-alone version is much nicer than the iTunes implementation IMHO