Best Drawing software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'd like to know what the best drawing software for the Mac is. I've tried EasyDraw and Intaglio...

Is there anything else?

I'm not looking for the one with most features per se, but one that's easy to use.

Al

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Give ArtRage and Seashore a try

You might also want to try Inkscape (for vector graphics) and Gimp but they both require X11 installed.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Adobe Illustrator and Expression3 X (no longer free on the web from a company Microsoft bought).

Also, it should be noted that Microsoft will soon release a suite of "Expression" branded tools... linky

BTW, I just tried ArtRage... it's very simple and gives good results. I'd recommend it if you do not need to create artwork for print (it is limited to 72 dpi output)...

(edit: Expression is no longer free... it was good while it lasted. )
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

I'd like to know what the best drawing software for the Mac is. I've tried EasyDraw and Intaglio...

Is there anything else?

You need to define your terms. Drawing traditionally refers to vector graphics which is produced by such apps as Illustrator. Painting traditionally refers to raster graphics which is produced by such apps as Photoshop. These two apps are at the high-ends of their respective categories. However, Pages, Keynote, and iPhoto may be all that you need. Let us not forget GraphicConverter, which is very much the poor man's Photoshop. As for me, I use Canvas X which combines both raster and vector graphics.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Try OmniGraffle. You'll love it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Stay away from Microsoft's Expression products. Unless you want to download and install the .NET Framework. It's the only way to run it. Not only that, it's Microsoft (Ok, I'm biased). Seashore needs work, a lot of work too.

I've tried ArtRage and it is fun and easy to use. And if diagrams are your choice Omnigraff works well. Canvas X looks like an affordable alternative to Photoshop/Illustrator.

/.02
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Take a look at lineform. I have Intaglio and am contemplating a switch.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

Take a look at lineform. I have Intaglio and am contemplating a switch.

I tried Lineform and was impressed with several of the effects, but overall it's more difficult to get good results vs. Illustrator. Adobe wins again.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Omnigraffle and Gimp are my personal favorites. The first time I used Omnigraffle I immediately fell in love with it! It's a very easy program to use.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Illustrator is the best, but it costs hundreds of dollars. If you want something free, NeoOffice includes a drawing program and the native Aqua version just came out so it no longer requires X11:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/...d.php#download
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I used to use Canvas a lot. It can do a lot of different things for a pretty reasonable price. It is a little quirky though and I kept finding annoying little bugs. The program has been concentrating more and more on technical drawing and I kept finding myself buying a bunch of features I didn't need to get the bug fixes. I quit upgrading after Canvas 9 and switched to a combination of OmniGraffle, Photoshop and Pages. This seems to give me the right tool for every job I do.