Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

My computer keeps kicking me off of the Internet. I have a brand new MacbookPro with the Airport Extreme Card and we use a Linksys router.

Any ideas of how to keep this from happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by failurebydesign View Post

My computer keeps kicking me off of the Internet. I have a brand new MacbookPro with the Airport Extreme Card and we use a Linksys router.

Have you set a Static IP on your MBP? If so, set it to use DHCP instead.

Try rebooting your router.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Have you set a Static IP on your MBP? If so, set it to use DHCP instead.

Try rebooting your router.

We already have done both of those things :/

Thanks though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by failurebydesign View Post

If you post in the future at these forums, try to make your titles very specific. There are lots of people who need 'help!'. You need 'router help!'

:-)

And two suggestions:

1) Enter your IP and other information manually

if that doesn't work

2) Call your ISP
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

If you post in the future at these forums, try to make your titles very specific. There are lots of people who need 'help!'. You need 'router help!'

:-)

And two suggestions:

1) Enter your IP and other information manually

if that doesn't work

2) Call your ISP

Thank you. I'm sorry for the non-specific heading. I wasn't even sure what was wrong so I didn't know what to put in the label.

I'll try your advice.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    If you getting an error message like this, if means something or someone on your local network is using the same IP address.

Switch off the Airport card on the MBP, attach network cable to the linksys router (make sure no other computers or network devices are connected to the linksys, only the Mac) . Login into the linksys via Safari http://192.168.1.1.

Here comes the geeky bit....

The screen shot has the MAC Address of the network card which is using the IP address, from the first six digit 0012-f0 you can determine the manufacturer of the card. In your case its an Intel card in fact I believe a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG MiniPCI. This card is normally found on a notebook, not an Apple (but I could be wrong)

Enabled Wireless Security on the linksys router (not WEP) use WPA2 with a good password.

Hope that helps,

Gavin
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hey thank you. It was a big help and we got it fixed now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

If you getting an error message like this, if means something or someone on your local network is using the same IP address.

Switch off the Airport card on the MBP, attach network cable to the linksys router (make sure no other computers or network devices are connected to the linksys, only the Mac) . Login into the linksys via Safari http://192.168.1.1.

Here comes the geeky bit....

The screen shot has the MAC Address of the network card which is using the IP address, from the first six digit 0012-f0 you can determine the manufacturer of the card. In your case its an Intel card in fact I believe a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG MiniPCI. This card is normally found on a notebook, not an Apple (but I could be wrong)

Enabled Wireless Security on the linksys router (not WEP) use WPA2 with a good password.

Hope that helps,

Gavin