Lacie external HDD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just had a Lacie D2 250GB HDD die (horrible grating noise ) and took a look inside.

Seems like a standard HD and Lacie's own interface/controller. Does anyone know if I can simply swap the actual drive for another one, or is the problem more likely to be with the other bits?

I don't want to buy a new HD and connect it just to hear that noise again. If it worked though, it would be a cheaper way of getting a new drive.

(I've tried swapping the drive to an internal bay of my mac (and a friends pc) but its no good the drive is dead.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zarathustra

Seems like a standard HD and Lacie's own interface/controller. Does anyone know if I can simply swap the actual drive for another one, or is the problem more likely to be with the other bits?

Yes you can. I've used one of their CD enclosures to run hard drives too - I've used a CD drive, a DVD burner and a hard drive in the same enclosure and they all worked great. The hard drive enclosure probably won't support an optical drive if only for the size but another hard drive will be fine. Just set the drive jumpers to the same settings as the old drive.

You may want to give the old freezer trick to see if you can recover your old drive.