help! cloud on 13" macbook screen

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm a new (and therefore challenged) Apple user and college student who bought a 13" Macbook in August. In September, a whitish cloud appear towards the right of center on the screen. The cloud grew larger and extended towards the corners of the screen over time. According to a tech at the Apple Store, the pixels are not dead. Otherwise, my Macbook functions normally (and quite well, might I add).

I waited until my winter break to return it to the manufacturer to have it repaired. Unfortunately, I got an e-mail telling me that the cloud on the screen is caused by water damage, and therefore isn't covered under warranty, resulting in an approximately $800 charge.

I'm very sure that I've never exposed the keyboard, screen, or other components to water. Is there any way I could argue against water damage? Has anyone experienced something of this sort?

Any help is greatly and sincerely appreciated! I must call Apple Care back on the 2nd to approve or disapprove the repair.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Maybe it's a result of an extreme temperature. Has it been anywhere that is particularly cold?

Have you tried heating up the screen e.g blowing a hairdryer on it?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I don't think its been exposed to any extreme temperatures, but its definitely worth looking into.

Thank you so much.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    It sounds like condensation. I wonder if you could put it somewhere for a while with extremely low humidity, or even a bit warm with circulating air...