Keeping iTunes updated between 2 computers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

i just got a MacBook and i love it alot, but i have a windows computer with all my music on it and i still use it a bit. Is there a way i can keep my iTunes libraries synced to have the same songs (like both update when i add new music)?

thanks, all help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

Hey everyone,

i just got a MacBook and i love it alot, but i have a windows computer with all my music on it and i still use it a bit. Is there a way i can keep my iTunes libraries synced to have the same songs (like both update when i add new music)?

thanks, all help is greatly appreciated

Short of manually putting your music on both machines, I don't know of any. What might be helpful is that when both computers are on the same network, it is possible in iTunes to play music that is located on one computer from the second one (just select "Share my music" in the Preferences menu). This will obviously mean that you may not have all of your music with you when you're out with your new Macbook, but that's what your iPod is for. And if you don't have an iPod, then what's wrong with you?

But what I would suggest is that you just choose one computer for keeping your music. I see no point in mirroring all of your music between two machines. This is just a waste of disk space. And you can also sync your iPod from more than one computer, so that isn't even an issue (again, unless you don't have an iPod).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Short of manually putting your music on both machines, I don't know of any. What might be helpful is that when both computers are on the same network, it is possible in iTunes to play music that is located on one computer from the second one (just select "Share my music" in the Preferences menu). This will obviously mean that you may not have all of your music with you when you're out with your new Macbook, but that's what your iPod is for. And if you don't have an iPod, then what's wrong with you?

But what I would suggest is that you just choose one computer for keeping your music. I see no point in mirroring all of your music between two machines. This is just a waste of disk space. And you can also sync your iPod from more than one computer, so that isn't even an issue (again, unless you don't have an iPod).

you make a good point. i'll just keep all my music on my desktop machine since it has a 200GB HD. i do have my library shared as you said and it is pretty convenient.

ps. of course i have an iPod!! although it is pretty old and is starting to crap out on me (its an iPod w/ Click Wheel)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    There is a program out called Syncotunes that you can use to keep your two computers synced up with music. Not the best program but seems to work ok.