wife's pissed off need your opinion

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
was in bestbuy today getting some stuff for my wife's new nano 2g(red) and as i was passing the display of mp3's the sales person was talking to two girls about ipod and competitors. "bad battery, dogging the ipod, well you can only download from itunes. but with these you can have more options and work great" when the girl asked where can she download he says "well from best buy store and it's 99cents just like itunes, and it's more fair" so one of the girls says but most people like the ipod but i guess with all the problems i could buy this one.....

well i chimed in fast "ipod has 80+% of the market for a reason, it works, i bought 9 this christmas because it's easy to use , work and people like it, i'd go ipod because of that" salesperson, says yea it's good i don't want to dog the ipod but these give you more options" i said, it's the best for a many reasons, hey i don't own stock in apple nor do i work at a best buy competitor, i don't like my gifts returned and i bought ipod, but then again bestbuy has a 30 day return policy, buy ipod"

as i was walking out my wife says you should of stayed out of that, the sales person is just doing his job and you have no dog in this fight, you should just butt out and let them make their own decisions, hey customers need to find out for themselves and i'm surprised the salesperson didn't dog you"

well i said, this guy is pushing a bestbuy download service which no one knows about and pushing his corp gooo all over these trusting customers, it's just wrong what he's doing.

hey husband of mine stay out of it. who cares whether they understand or not, it's not your place to educate.

i said i dissagree, i can't see an innocent customer get rifled like that.

yama yama yama.....

so i leave it to you.....should i have stayed out swallowed hard and moved on or did what i did an educate

what would you have done.....is their "store etiguette " i was breaching???

i'll accept your judgement, be kind if their is any punishment

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I think you're wife should allow you to feel strongly about the things you feel strongly about, whatever these may be (and vice versa). Life is too short to hold back.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    You are free to speak your mind and in doing so, in this case, you performed a valuable service for those shoppers. How would your wife feel if she was told to hush her mouth?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Um... Best Buy has a download service?

This I have to see though :P

Sebastian

EDIT: Oh Good I found it. They made it a bit hard to find so it took 30 seconds longer then it should've... bastards -_- But here it is

EDIT 2: -_- Now I'm pissed. I tried to sign up for the 25 Free plan and found out it wasn't compatible with the Mac. Probably uses Windows Media DRM -_-
  • Reply 4 of 11
    steste Posts: 119member
  • Reply 5 of 11
    steste Posts: 119member
    When you click on the Best Buy Digital Music Store link for "compatible" MP3 players, it returns 9 options: Creative Zen, Insignia, Samsung. Not an iPod in sight. No Zune either. It is beginning to look like they have some sort of agenda going on here.

Incidentally, when I go into my local Best Buy, for some reason other customers regularly assume that I am an employee. I don't even own a royal blue polo shirt. Maybe I carry that air of authority (or cluelessness, whichever way you want to look at it) necessary for the position. I always help 'em out, although it does cause the girlfriend to grimmace somewhat.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The same could be said about the iTMS: do they list Zunes?

About speaking up: I sometimes do the same and the wife barks at me, saying I have no right to do that. I feel similarly to you in that the sales reps often don't have a clue or are pushing some kind of agenda.

Soooooo, I am trying to change the way I work my way into the conversations: first as an interested bystander (Really? That sounds nice), then ask a question or two (Doesn't Apple have a great combo in the iPod and iTMS?), then drop the humdinger (Get an iPod or get a life; even the Queen of England has one; you should, too, or you're a nobody). The wife tends to get hung up on the last part, but I haven't figured out why yet. Ouch! There she goes again!

I think sharing your input is fine, just watch the way you do it and see if that apeases the wife.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The same could be said about the iTMS: do they list Zunes?

About speaking up: I sometimes do the same and the wife barks at me, saying I have no right to do that. I feel similarly to you in that the sales reps often don't have a clue or are pushing some kind of agenda.

Soooooo, I am trying to change the way I work my way into the conversations: first as an interested bystander (Really? That sounds nice), then ask a question or two (Doesn't Apple have a great combo in the iPod and iTMS?), then drop the humdinger (Get an iPod or get a life; even the Queen of England has one; you should, too, or you're a nobody). The wife tends to get hung up on the last part, but I haven't figured out why yet. Ouch! There she goes again!

I think sharing your input is fine, just watch the way you do it and see if that apeases the wife.

Really

Personally I don't carry an iPod myself. I usually just listen to my music when I'm working on my Mac, and everywhere else, well I don't really care.

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

when I go into my local Best Buy, for some reason other customers regularly assume that I am an employee.

The same thing routinely happens to me in music stores. I worked in one for 5 years so I guess I'm giving off some sort of aura.

Even more amusing was the time a lady asked me for help in Target. I was barefoot and wearing shorts at the time, but I guess if you're wearing a red shirt, you work there.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

hey husband of mine stay out of it. who cares whether they understand or not, it's not your place to educate.

I think you did the right thing. Who knows - maybe she has a problem with the WAY you did it, I wasn't there to hear your tone of voice, body language, etc.

If your wife heard a female salesperson telling a young clueless guy that, yeah, lots of girls like Prada purses but what his girlfriend probably wants is a vinyl purse that says BELK on it for the same price as Prada, I'm guessing your wife would speak up.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidzLA View Post

The same thing routinely happens to me in music stores. I worked in one for 5 years so I guess I'm giving off some sort of aura.

Even more amusing was the time a lady asked me for help in Target. I was barefoot and wearing shorts at the time, but I guess if you're wearing a red shirt, you work there.

When I took my Mac into the Genius Bar, a Girl and her Brother/Boyfriend/whoever mistook me for one of the Employees. I helped them out anyways (they were having trouble with the 1st Gen Shuffle and asked me how much it would be to replace it, and about the Warranty) and I assume it turned out well for them. 8)

Sebastian
  • Reply 11 of 11
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    What kind of a man are you if you can't control your woman?

Shorten that chain!