what am I doing wrong?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I can answer this question myself--give up on-line computing.

That's really hard these days. If it was up to me I'd stay offline, but it's tought doing business in a wired world without being on-line.

So..what am I doing wrong with my Airport? I reconfigured it and changed the password via airport admin untility but the finder airport menu bar is only recognizing my old password (while the airport admin untility is using the new one).

(I'm using admin utility 5.5)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Have you completely reset the airport before changing any settings?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Not intentionally: the reason I started screwing with the password was I lost my signal and couldn't find the airport base station again. I called earthlink/time warner and they determined the problem was on my end.

So I reset the base station, in an attempt to correct the problem. However, I did a hard reset, using a pen, and I hand't done it in so long I may have not done things in the correct sequence. When I opened the airport admin SW I didn't recognize the name of the base station (it's been a year since I'd set it), so I decided to update settings.

What I don't get is that after each change I made the admin utility SW reset the base station. The new password was the last change I made (first I changed the base station name, the some privacy settings and then the network name.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Have you completely reset the airport before changing any settings?

• Reply 3 of 5
    If I recall, it's normal for it to reboot the base station after every boot, but not "reset" it to some original setting. I can't explain the old password being used in the menu bar. I see tywo choices-- in network preferences, delete the profile you're currently using and make a new one-- the new password should be used (I'd hope). Or, leave it alone if it's working, even if you can't explain it. The first option brings with it the risk of reconfiguring even more, and maybe added hassle.

I'm afraid I may be of no real help here. Hopefully someone else will come along. Sorry.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You aren't confusing the Airport Admin password(used by the admin tool to configure airport) to the Airport Network password(used to connect to the wireless network), are you?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    You're right!. Thanks...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

You aren't confusing the Airport Admin password(used by the admin tool to configure airport) to the Airport Network password(used to connect to the wireless network), are you?