Intel iMac airport connection problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

My new intel iMac connected up to my 802.11g 3come wireless modem/router fine, the strength in excellent (always full or nearly full) but the connection is very very intermittent.

It will only work for a minute or so but then the internet will go down on the machine for about 30 seconds, then come back on.

The network file sharing also goes down. Other Windows PCs on the network do not have this problem.

I have tried the following, none has had any effect:
  • Turning off all other network PCs

• Disabling all encryption on the router

• Using different browsers

• Calling Apple support - first they asked me to adjust some networking options, we also setup a new network connection. They then sent me a replacement iMac - it's exactly the same

The firmware is up-to-date on the router.

I am aware there are similar posts in the forum, but other people's problems seem to be to do with their speed. None of the solutions have helped.

Interference robustness has no effect. It shouldn't be intereference because I've moved the iMac around, even right next to the base station the problem exists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your support.

Davood

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Help?

Anyone have any ideas?

Should I replace the router?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Are you getting any output messages in your /Applications/Utilities/console about the network drop? The intermittent drop would suggest failed authentication on encryption but since you already turned it off, that doesn't really explain it. Is the signal strong on the iMac when it is connected and then it just disconnects?

Have you got the airport preferences set to join your network by default or is it set to automatic?

Wireless networks are just really random and people on all types of machine have issues of the same nature. At work I get slow wifi even with a strong signal for no reason when others are at full speed. I make sure to use a wired network at home and I haven't had a single problem for over two years.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The signal is always fine, it's just as if there is no internet connection in the intermittent drops.

But on all other connected PCs it's fine.

People have suggested replacing the router - but I don't know whether to get a 802.11n router (draft) since I heard the new iMacs have draft n cards. People say the draft n routers don't work with the iMacs?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbonyad View Post

The signal is always fine, it's just as if there is no internet connection in the intermittent drops.

But on all other connected PCs it's fine.

Have you tried hooking the mac up via a wired connection to the router?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbonyad View Post

People have suggested replacing the router - but I don't know whether to get a 802.11n router (draft) since I heard the new iMacs have draft n cards. People say the draft n routers don't work with the iMacs?

They should work but they won't work at 802.11n speed, they will drop down to 802.11g.