Graphics: MB vs. MBPro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My understanding is that the MacBook has an integrated graphics chipset that utilises the main system memory - whilst the MacBook Pro has a dedicated graphics chipset complete with it's own dedicated 128/256MB of graphics memory.

But where are the benefits? Are we talking purely gaming here, or would the likes of InDesign or Photoshop also benefit from the Mobilty Radeon?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Video and photo editing can take advantage of the 256 MB of graphics memory present on the MacBook Pros. Obviously gaming would be able to use this if thats your sort of thing (I'd imagine it would be a lot more useful if you used Bootcamp and then gamed on Windows). It also future proofs your Mac, which is something I always like to do. I need my purchases to last awhile on my budget. However, if you are just the average consumer and don't need any extra video power (ie just watching videos and looking at pictures with the occasional minor editing) then the MacBook would be excellent for your needs. A lot of people buy MacBook Pros when they honestly could have easily done just as well with a MacBook. If you are a gamer, I'd go with the MacBook Pro if you can afford it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i upgraded to a pro from the macbook simply for gaming...its a pretty decent gaming machine.

however, the stock macbook was somehow 'snappier' and everything loaded faster. dunno why...but it was faster all around and .16ghz slower in clock. go figure.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Unless you are doing a lot of gaming, video editing, or photo editing...the MacBook should be plenty powerful for you. And remember they have it in the nice new black color now. We all know how important looks are!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well I'm switching from a studio-based workflow to a freelance-based workflow. As a result I'm migrating from a Cinema Display & G5 setup to a Cinema Display & laptop setup.

I spend most of my time in CS2 and Quark.

From testing both machines, the MacBook does SEEM marginally faster than the MacBook Pro. It's also quieter, cooler and a damn-sight more portable/rugged than the Pro equivalent. I can imagine carrying the MacBook around all day, and pulling it out as required, but I can't imagine humfing the Pro around all day.

I guess the the acid test is whether the MacBook can handle big, populated, InDesign documents.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Which model MacBook Pro do you have Messiah? I've heard it isn't that hard to carry around at all.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    The 15" is less than half a pound heavier than a regular MacBook... Oh it's sooo much heavier and harder to lug around.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    That's why I was curious. I've never found them hard to carry around at all. Just throw it in a backpack...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I was wondering the same exact thing, myself. I'm still wrestling with the delimma of choosing between the two. I don't know for certain that I NEED the extra "oomph," the most I can ever imagine myself doing is working in Photoshop and maybe a couple other image programs like it. I'm not into major gaming, video editing, or anything like that...

If I could save myself some money by getting the MB, and not suffer later because I find it actually isn't powerful enough for my needs, then that'd be great. I'm a student and my pockets aren't too deep. But quality is worth the extra mile to me, if I really would benefit.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    a bigger screen may help with Photoshop.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    The dedicated graphics help a lot when driving large displays. I think your work might choke the integrated graphics. Plus having the dedicated video memory means you aren't taking away vital Ram from your system.

Now it depends what resolution you use . According to this chart, the macbook only does up to 1920x1200 so cannot drive a 30" cinema at its native resolution whereas the Macbook Pro can:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...son_chart.html

If you decided to get a 23" cinema display then I see no reason why the Macbook wouldn't be a good choice if you don't plan on using the GPU much. I'm a big supporter of smaller laptops and I find the 15" MBP quite awkward to carry about. The X1600 performance is pretty impressive though and aluminium looks nicer IMO.

Also consider that the MB has a glossy screen, which can be annoying. Please use one before you buy one because it's a personal choice whether to go matte or glossy.

The Macbook has a cool magnetic latch, which I love and the Ram and HD are far easier to upgrade yourself.

The Macbook Pro however has a backlit keyboard and a higher screen resolution, which is handy if you need more workspace on the move.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I haven't had my MBP that long, but i did a lot of research in PC's and have a decent Desktop PC machine for gaming and graphics.

when i took on my graphic design minor, and started my own website design/development business I decided Mac was the way to go.. and i will never look back.

The graphics are insane on the MBP screen, let alone the fact while at home its connected to my 22" widescreen and the MBP can give off higher resolution than that monitor can handle.. which amazes me.

overall, its light, for graphics is awesome.. i'd recomend it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Thanks! A bigger screen could be nice.. The main reason I'd want to go Pro is for the extra graphics power. But as of yet I'm not sure that I'm going to need that kind of oomph, at least not until the future.

Personally I kinda like the MB white polycarbonate case best. Really pretty. But looks aren't anything to go by. (Or go buy. Haha.)