Intel's latest announcement - any merit?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/23012.html"; target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/23012.html</a>;

Sounds like a pretty quick jump up to me. Give 'em 3 years and a month and expect processors running at 10x the clockspeed of today's? I thought Intel was headed back down in sheer clockspeed stupidity...

The "depleted substrate transistor" looks somewhat interesting, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]I thought Intel was headed back down in sheer clockspeed stupidity...

<hr></blockquote>

How is creating a scalable design and implementing cutting edge manufacturing processes, "Stupidity"?

• Reply 2 of 7
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    PRESS RELEASE - Intel today announced a 25GHZ Pentium 7. Initial benchmarks show that the real world performance is about the same as a 1GHZ P3, and testers say the new chip won't be any good until it reaches 50GHZ and say to wait for the die-shrink in the next revision.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Meanwhile, Motorola hopes to push the G5 up to 2 GHz by 2005, after stagnating at 1500 MHz for 18 months.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Meanwhile, Motorola hopes to push the G5 up to 2 GHz by 2005, after stagnating at 1500 MHz for 18 months.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah. Stangating at 1500 rather than 500 would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    that'd be news if IBM and Motorola didn't already announce something just like that about 2 months ago (promising 20ghz RSN). gallium arsonide? something like that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Meh. Talk the talk, walk the walk...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by JFW:

<strong>

How is creating a scalable design and implementing cutting edge manufacturing processes, "Stupidity"?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

certainly less stupid than the 7400 design stuck for ever at 500 mhz