Apple, Google, Napster sued over digital download patent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Digital download icons Apple Computer, Google and Napster are on the receiving end of a new lawsuit claiming patent infringement.

According to the New York Times, defunct video-on-demand company, Intertainer, last week filed a broad lawsuit asserting that three companies are infringing on a 2005 patent that covers the commercial distribution of audio and video over the Internet.

The paper said the Intertainer -- founded in 1996 by a veteran film producer and two Hollywood entertainment executives -- developed technology to distribute movies on demand through cable and phone lines for viewing on televisions and personal computers.

Before ceasing operations five years ago, Intertainer's investors were reported to included industry heavyweights such as Intel, Microsoft, Sony, NBC and Comcast.

"Intertainer was the leader of the idea of entertainment on demand over Internet platforms before Google was even thought up," Jonathan T. Taplin, one of the company's founders, told the Times.

Lawyers representing Mr. Taplin told the paper that the suit targets Apple, Google and Napster because "they were perceived as leaders in the market for digital downloads."

Intertainer is said to hold nine patents, including United States Patent No. 6,925,469, which was issued in 2005 and is intended to cover the management and distribution of digital media from various suppliers.

However, the Times cites digital media experts who say Intertainer might have a difficult time enforcing its patent because of its relatively recent filing date of 2001.

By that time, the paper said, Real Networks, for example, had already begun an Internet subscription service for digital content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Can I patent the drive-thru for on-demand eats?

Better yet, how about patenting the general accessing of a webpage. I could see that being considered as on-demand as well.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Lawyers representing Mr. Taplin told the paper that the suit targets Apple, Google and Napster because "they were perceived as leaders in the market for digital downloads."

However, the Times cites digital media experts who say Intertainer might have a difficult time enforcing its patent because of its relatively recent filing date of 2001.

By that time, the paper said, Real Networks, for example, had already begun an Internet subscription service for digital content.

Hmmm. I wonder why they aren't suing Real Networks?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    cy_cy_ Posts: 16member
    Wow, thank God nobody patented the Internet...
  • Reply 4 of 29
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    I patented the "click" sound your mouse makes. Lawsuits to follow shortly....
  • Reply 5 of 29
    LOL. Really. Are you hearing the laugh of the world at this completely disordered "patent" system? Anybody can patent nearly anything. That's a fact. This one is just a pathetic sample. And companies are now loosing millions in law suits so stupid that it is hard to believe there are still men and women to participate in those masquerade money gambles as lawyers, parties or even judges!!! Oh boys, how far you've gone!
  • Reply 6 of 29
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Probably because Apple is the most successful and the lawsuit is baseless and without merit.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Hmm, they certainly got their timing right. One week to MacExpo Plenty of media coverage \ It's the ideal setting for doing business

I guess they don't own an iPod?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Oh yeah... I forgot! I patented the tail on the mouse pointer! Ooooo...
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I'm pretty sure there were lots of subscription services for digital content way before then. AOL springs to mind instantly in the USA and Compuserve in the UK.

Lawyers in the USA really should be disbarred for taking on such stupid law suits for their clients.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Link to the patent in question.

Just because a patent has been issued does not mean it may go unchallenged. There is a ton of prior art in this case, after all.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Or Walmart or Yahoo or Microsoft or or or.....
  • Reply 12 of 29
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    seriously, the folks that actually awarded these patents should be the ones getting sued. is it too late to patent exchanging information digitally?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    wtfkwtfk Posts: 47member
    You can't just pick who you defend your product against--you have to defend it against everyone--and you can't just wait until it looks profitable. This should go nowhere.

Besides, intellectual property--and specifically patents--are the Devil's business.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm tired of hearing about all this lawsuit crap. Just a bunch of frivolous niggling nuisances.

Hey, it's a brand new year! Macworld is just 6 days away! Don't we have better things to discuss?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    What better to discuss than every niggling detail about and surrounding Apple?
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Can I patent the drive-thru for on-demand eats?

Sadly, you probably could.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

...Lawyers in the USA really should be disbarred for taking on such stupid law suits for their clients.

hear hear!

down with those who tries to milk anything for money
  • Reply 18 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I just patented the alphabet. I dare you to continue to write in this forum.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Or Walmart or Yahoo or Microsoft or or or.....

At least for Microsoft, probably because the article starts they were one of the primary investors in the patent holding company.

And where are the ads on this site coming from? I understand seeing computer ads and the like but earlier the ads on one page included anal beads and the adds with this included hernia support underwear. Unless market research states that Mac users are major users of such products, maybe...
  • Reply 20 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Hey, it's a brand new year! Macworld is just 6 days away! Don't we have better things to discuss?

Nothing that hasn't already been beaten to death, then beaten several more times for good measure.