Adobe to resurrect Premier for the Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe Systems said Thursday that the next version of Adobe Production Studio, its the integrated video and audio post-production tool set, will include a new version its Premiere Pro video editing software for the Macintosh when it ships in the middle of the year.

"Film, video and web professionals currently using Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator on the Mac will soon be able to harness the power of completely new Macintosh releases of Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Encore DVD and Adobe Soundbooth," the company said in a statement to the media, referring to the upcoming milestone revision to Production Studio.

Adobe added it will offer the first public demonstration of the new software bundle during the Macworld 2007 Conference and Exhibition at The Moscone Center in San Francisco next week.

The San Jose, Calif.-based software developer discontinued support for Premier on the Mac back in 2003, citing Apple's increased efforts in the market segment with its own line of digital video editing applications like Final Cut Pro.

"Our customers wanted all the components in Adobe Production Studio to be available on both the Macintosh and Windows platforms," said John Loiacono, senior vice president of Creative Solutions Business Unit at Adobe. "We listened and believe that an innovative new cross-platform video suite, anchored by powerhouse releases of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects, will really shake up the industry."

The new version of Adobe Production Studio will include Adobe After Effects for compositing, effects and animation; Adobe Premiere Pro for non-linear editing; Adobe Encore DVD for DVD authoring; Adobe Photoshop; Adobe Illustrator; as well as the time-saving workflow enhancements offered by Adobe Dynamic Link.

Adobe also said that Soundbooth will take the place of Adobe Audition in the new version of Adobe Production Studio, and that Audition will continue to be developed for audio professionals as a stand-alone product for Windows.

Adobe Production Studio for Macintosh will be available for purchase in mid-2007 as a Universal Binary for Intel-based Macs, the company said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    That's cool.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    I can only assume that what this means is that it's very cheap to port apps from pc to mac at this stage. Otherwise, why bring a product to market that no one wants.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    And here's the kicker next week.....AFTER EFFECTS CAN NOW ONLY BE PURCHASED AS PART OF THE SUITE.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    What's the point? Adobe has already burned Mac users before. No Mac users currently use Premiere, and no Mac users will go back to Premiere.

Unless the whole point is that they're not bundling After Effects separately anymore. Then, they're just trying to screw over consumers like they've always done in the past.

Adobe: pricing our products as high as possible to screw over as many consumers as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

And here's the kicker next week.....AFTER EFFECTS CAN NOW ONLY BE PURCHASED AS PART OF THE SUITE.

That could make NAB really interesting...first, Apple killed Shake, then this, next has to be some hybrid Shake/Motion uber graphics compositing thingy to be bundled with FCS...

This would be a great time to pull out all the stops on desktop 3-d annimation: Core annimation is the base for something HUGE at NAB.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Why specify Universal Binary for Intel Macs? I thought Universal Binary meant all Macs (PowerPC and Intel)? Also isn't Soundbooth Intel only?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

AFTER EFFECTS CAN NOW ONLY BE PURCHASED AS PART OF THE SUITE.

I don't see where it says this. And I seriously doubt it as After Effects is widely used with FCP and Avid systems.

Quote:

What's the point? Adobe has already burned Mac users before. No Mac users currently use Premiere, and no Mac users will go back to Premiere.

What about current Windows users. Certainly there are Windows users who will switch to the Mac but may feel more comfortable with Premiere.

Developers bringing major software to the Mac is always great news.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    ecking, scotty321 --

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it Apple that only sells Motion as part of a bundle? After Effects is still available as a standalone product.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adobe Systems said Thursday that the next version of Adobe Production Studio, its the integrated video and audio post-production tool set, will include a new version its Premiere Pro video editing software for the Macintosh when it ships in the middle of the year.

It's odd that the story title spells the product name wrong, but the article gets it right several times.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normdeplume View Post

ecking, scotty321 --

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it Apple that only sells Motion as part of a bundle? After Effects is still available as a standalone product.

That's true. Is there a reason to buy just Motion? I suppose the best reason might be separation of work, buying the separate apps would make sense if you had two or three different people on different computers doing different things, you buy each station only the software the station needs vs. buying the bundle for every station, which could save half a grand per station. I wonder if the Studio bundle could even allow that.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Keep in mind After Effects Pro is $999, where as Production Studio Premium is $1799...After Effects will stay seperate.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I wish Sony would release Vegas for Mac.I tried Final Cut Pro but didn't like it at all. Wasn't user friendly like most Mac apps are. Premiere and FCP share the same kind of inferface, as they were designed by the same person. So basically it's more of the same. I guess I have to stick to a PC for editing.

But at least it's nice to see more choice hitting the Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    What Mac user on earth would use Premiere instead of Final Cut?

Or put differently, what Windows user would not switch from Premiere to Final Cut in a heartbeat if FC was available on windows.

(I say this as Windows Premiere Pro user)
  • Reply 14 of 56
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

There are some post production companies who use Premiere as their primary NLE. Very few but there are some.

It would now be possible for them to add Mac's to their shop or even fully switch to Mac without an interruption of their workflow.

Quote:

I wish Sony would release Vegas for Mac.

Yeah Vegas is pretty different from Premiere or FCP.

People either really love it or really hate it.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I would call Vegas an almost entirely different software solution. It honestly has features that I've never seen in any other editing program, but it also is missing some of the gems that makes Final Cut so great.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't see where it says this. And I seriously doubt it as After Effects is widely used with FCP and Avid systems.

He's making it up.

Quote:

What about current Windows users. Certainly there are Windows users who will switch to the Mac but may feel more comfortable with Premiere.

Developers bringing major software to the Mac is always great news.

This version of Premiere is not the same as what Adobe left with.

It's a far better program that actually gives FCP a good run for the money. In my digital video mags this program does very well indeed.

The knee jerk reaction seen here so far is based of feelings rather than knowledge.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's true. Is there a reason to buy just Motion? I suppose the best reason might be separation of work, buying the separate apps would make sense if you had two or three different people on different computers doing different things, you buy each station only the software the station needs vs. buying the bundle for every station, which could save half a grand per station. I wonder if the Studio bundle could even allow that.

I bought Motion when it first came out. I had bought all of the programs that were available separately, because there wasn't a suite with them together at first.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

I wish Sony would release Vegas for Mac.I tried Final Cut Pro but didn't like it at all. Wasn't user friendly like most Mac apps are. Premiere and FCP share the same kind of inferface, as they were designed by the same person. So basically it's more of the same. I guess I have to stick to a PC for editing.

But at least it's nice to see more choice hitting the Mac.

They weren't designed by the same person. Some people were involved in both for a short time, but that's different.

Most editing programs that are at the pro level are similar. That can't be helped, because pro's want certain features in the GUI.

When these programs get reviewed in the pro publications, the reviewers almost always look to the competition and say that it would be nice if this program did such and such the way these others did them, and round and round.

After a few years, the programs become more alike. It's to be expected.

The original Premiere looked completely different from what FCP turned out to look like.

But Premiere was the first amateur oriented digital editing program available. Adobe was starting from scratch.

Now the program is a professional one, and has to look, and work, like one.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

Or put differently, what Windows user would not switch from Premiere to Final Cut in a heartbeat if FC was available on windows.

(I say this as Windows Premiere Pro user)

I'm sure many wouldn't.

Unless you have used the newer versions of Premiere and FCP, you can't speak to this.

Are you saying that you are a pro with extensive experience in both programs? I know a number of those who use it for pro work, and they are pleased with it.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normdeplume View Post

ecking, scotty321 --

Yeah but Motion doesn't have the install base and hype that AE does.

And to everyone else, yeah I was just supposing the worst case senario.