MBP Ram Upgrade 1 -> 2GB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I want to upgrade my ram to 2GB

So am I right to assume there is a 1GB stick in the MBP (C2D) and not 2 512s?

Also I think the ram is DDR2-PC5300 (that's what my friend said at least.

I heard people saying that you have to buy the same brand as in the machine, is that true? If so what brand is stock with the MBP?

I found a few on NewEgg, for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208037

That one is by Transcend...is that a good brand?

All help is appreaciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwind212 View Post

Hi, I want to upgrade my ram to 2GB

So am I right to assume there is a 1GB stick in the MBP (C2D) and not 2 512s?

Also I think the ram is DDR2-PC5300 (that's what my friend said at least.

I heard people saying that you have to buy the same brand as in the machine, is that true? If so what brand is stock with the MBP?

I found a few on NewEgg, for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208037

That one is by Transcend...is that a good brand?

All help is appreaciated.

Thank you!

http://www.crucial.com/

All you need
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post

http://www.crucial.com/

All you need

check this out.. this is great deal

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...181130&Redir=1
  • Reply 3 of 20
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    To find out about your ram go to the apple menu - about this mac then click more info, in there it will tell you how many dimms you have and size. Most likely it is a single gigabyte dimm.

What you'll need is a 667mhz DDR2 SO-DIMM also called PC5300.

The brand only matters when you have integrated graphics because using two of the same brand gives dual channel benefits, these aren't relevant in the mbp because of it's dedicated gpu.

I upped my ram with a 1gb stick, I used a cheap brand and it hasn't failed me in the 3 months I've had it. Don't buy crap, but you don't need to buy the best either, look around, there's plenty good ram.

Good luck and God's speed. lol
  • Reply 4 of 20
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The 1GB sticks in my MacBook are different brands. So how does this affect my graphics?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    It isn't so much your graphics as your entire computer. Macbooks can take full advantage of dual channel DDR (which requires 2 identical SODIMMs) while Macbook Pros cannot.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Great thanks guys.

Just to clarify is transcend a good brand (will it last me a good 5-6 years?)

Re: CBA: Crucial is just really expenisve $178.... for a 1 GIG stick

I'm looking at Newegg I want to spend less than $120 but still get quality I don't really no brands that well...so really do appreacite the help.

(I really don't like doing rebates, but if there's nothing good at the 120 price range I'll take Kavmans advice and go with that macmall deal.)

Thanks guys!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Transcend is good, as is Corsair. You can also get a Crucial stick from Newegg for $133.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    No problems from my PNY 1 gig... Got it on sale for $80 at Best Buy.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

It isn't so much your graphics as your entire computer. Macbooks can take full advantage of dual channel DDR (which requires 2 identical SODIMMs) while Macbook Pros cannot.

As I understand it, you will take a performance hit if you have two different sizes of RAM sticks. I actually had 1.25GB for awhile before swapping out the other 256MB stick for a 1 gigger. The MacBook seemed to run fine. I don't understand how different brands could affect it.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

As I understand it, you will take a performance hit if you have two different sizes of RAM sticks. I actually had 1.25GB for awhile before swapping out the other 256MB stick for a 1 gigger. The MacBook seemed to run fine. I don't understand how different brands could affect it.

Generally this is untrue on MacBook Pros (unless of course you're like me and have DDR2-533). The reason the MacBooks (and minis) work better with memory in dual channel mode is the integrated graphics. Since the GMA950 of the MB and mini have no RAM, they use the system RAM for bandwidth. The MacBook Pros don't have integrated graphics, and one stick of DDR2-667 can completely saturate the bus, so dual channel mode offers minimal performance gains, if any. Does this make sense? I'm fuckin tired!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Did you notice any speed difference?

I don't think the brand matters so long as you aren't getting some chain's house brand that uses floor sweepings for chips, or something like that. Just match the memory type and sizes and you should be set on the MacBook. Matching memory sizes doesn't seem to matter with the Pro units.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    No, I didn't notice a performance hit with different sizes of RAM.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I heard the "timing" of ram was important.

I want to get the Transcend 1GB stick from NewEgg since it's only $73.

(I have a MBP C2D) is the timing the same on the stock and this transcend and how can you tell?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I went with the Crucial mem stick (1GB) for $109.00.

Should be here in a few days!!

Thank you for all the help.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I'm thinking about ordering the same from Crucial since I've had good experiences with them in the past with PC RAM.

Let us know how you make out...
  • Reply 16 of 20
    That's a great price. I paid $150 for one of mine, and $125 for the other.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I know!! I couldn't pass it up!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Just installed the additional 1gig on my C2D MBP.

WOW.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwind212 View Post

Just installed the additional 1gig on my C2D MBP.

WOW.

I could use some more exposition on the "wow" part. I've got a MBP C(1)D with 2GB
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Modo runs great, even with very detailed models.

Everything is a bit quicker. Overall....no matter how many apps I have open, each application feels like it's the only open one. If that makes sense. Nice and quick. I love to multitask and have all my pro apps open at the same time so it's very convenient.