.mac Homepage question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
1. Is there any way to reset the visitor counter at the bottom of the page?

2. And why does it count it when I visit my own webpage? You'd think it would exclude my IP from the count.

3. I noticed that the photo album lowers the resolution of the photos that I include in it. Why?

Although I'm generally happy with .mac I've come to notice that many of the apps are fairly crude and lacking in features. Virex is manual. The webmail can't hold a candle to the features in Hotmail. And the Homepage app is also pretty basic. It doesn't even seem that you can reset the visitor counter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well, the old answer to these questions were "its free, so its basic functionality" BUT ITS NOT FREE ANYMORE

you are right the options should be a little more robust...

as for the low res pics... it is because on the web it is easier to load smaller sized pics.... but still you should have the ability to see the full sized images by right clicking on them in the slide show and select show image in new window
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>well, the old answer to these questions were "its free, so its basic functionality" BUT ITS NOT FREE ANYMORE

you are right the options should be a little more robust...

as for the low res pics... it is because on the web it is easier to load smaller sized pics.... but still you should have the ability to see the full sized images by right clicking on them in the slide show and select show image in new window</strong><hr></blockquote>

Paul,

Thanks, I did just that. However, the image displayed is only 800 x 600. Since all of my photos are 1600 x 1200, the resolution is being reduced somewhere in the process of going from iPhoto to Homepage. I'm not sure why this happens but I'd like it to stop.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    iPhoto changes the resolution of your photos when uploading them to the web. You can drop the images in your pictures folder yourself, and you will be able to keep the pictures unmodified when displayed on the web via homepage. After dropping the pictures in your iDisk folder (pictures), you need to go to homepage and create a new page to use the new images just added to your disk. I hope this helps...

I agree the options are way on the weak side, especially since it is a paid service now...!!!

Also, I have had problems with the menu option on homepage. It keeps resetting itself or making the last 4-5 selections all the same thing. It is weird, and it has forced me to drop my menu page.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Donny,

Thanks, I'll try that. You think Apple would post a note in the help section which mentions that iPhoto reduces the image resolution. Apple always has been weak on software documentation though - not that most companies are any better.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    You are counted in the visitor count because Apple doesn't know your IP. If you have a dial-up, your IP is probably different every time you dial up. (Even with DSL you have to pay extra for a static IP.)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot:

<strong>You are counted in the visitor count because Apple doesn't know your IP. If you have a dial-up, your IP is probably different every time you dial up. (Even with DSL you have to pay extra for a static IP.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Point taken.