Macworld: Roxio issues Mac TiVo teaser; OWC ModBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Roxio, Axiotron and Other World Computer are among a handful of players in the Mac market that have released new product teasers ahead of next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco, Calif.

Mac Ta-ta-ta-TeeVo?

Roxio, a division of Sonic Solutions popular for its Toast and Popcorn optical disc authoring software packages, is expected to deliver one of the most sought-after Mac software solutions during the conference.

The Novato, Calif.-based company this week distributed to affiliates a digital invitation to its booth at Macworld, promising a special gift. "We've got a special present for you," it said. "Come to booth #314 at Macworld Expo and see what we've got under wraps."

Roxio in the invitation also promises "show special prices, free gifts and raffle prizes. So what's in the software developer's secret sauce? What was that earlier? Did we say TiVo?

ModBook tablet

Moving on now... Solution hardware manufacturer Axiotron, Inc. and technology solutions provider Other World Computing (OWC) this week announced that they are teaming up during Macworld to unveil ModBook, the first ever Mac tablet computer solution.

"The Axiotron ModBook features WACOM Penabled hardware for true pen input and is fully compatible with Apple's Inkwell, a Mac OS X Tiger feature that provides system level handwriting and gesture recognition to all Mac applications," the companies said.

"Drawing and writing directly on the screen provides for a uniquely intuitive user experience and its slim, slate-style form factor makes the ModBook the ultimate companion for mobile users, artists, professionals and students."

Axiotron and OWC say the ModBook is also the only portable Mac solution that features an optional built-in Global Positioning System (GPS). The product, according to this teaser image, appears to involve an Apple MacBook that has been converted into a tablet. However, the companies aren't providing any further details until after Apple's opening keynote on Tuesday, January 9th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    carlcarl Posts: 17member
    What does this have to do with Tivo?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I'm fairly certain this is what Roxio will unbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA
  • Reply 3 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aqua OS X View Post

I'm fairly certain this is what Roxio will unbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA

HAHA I had forgotten about that skit. That entire episode of SNL was very excellent.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    ModBook is the new MacTablet. iTV is the new Asteroid.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Krikey! This certainly is a bit of all right!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Krikey! This certainly is a bit of all right!

As an Australian I feel compelled to point out crikey is spelt with a C. Sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The legality of OWC's product confuses me. If it's just a screen mod, making no other changes to the mb then it makes sense because I guess that's no different then what colour ware pc does.

But if it can swivel and fold and has gps, how is this computer legal? By this time they've surely changed enough that it qualifies as a clone or something.

What'd be hilarious though is if Jobs debuted a mactablet on the 9th.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasondotcom View Post

As an Australian I feel compelled to point out crikey is spelt with a C. Sorry.

ROFLMAO As an Australian* I feel compelled to ask What The Bloody Hell Is A Tivo Mate? One of em' crazy Yank inventions?

*"PermanentResident", at least... You can't kick me out until 2011 or sometime around then.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHA I had forgotten about that skit. That entire episode of SNL was very excellent.

HOLY CRAP It'was funny.......
  • Reply 10 of 28
    There's a much more revealing 'teaser' image at http://www.axiotron.com/
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

The legality of OWC's product confuses me. If it's just a screen mod, making no other changes to the mb then it makes sense because I guess that's no different then what colour ware pc does.

But if it can swivel and fold and has gps, how is this computer legal? By this time they've surely changed enough that it qualifies as a clone or something.

What'd be hilarious though is if Jobs debuted a mactablet on the 9th.

To be honest i think owc has Job's good graces on this one. it seems like Jobs may have not wanted Apple to go directly into the tablet market and wanted a test run so let someone else do it. Thats just the scenario i could see. Then if he liked it he would do it but do it with "Apple Style"
  • Reply 12 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    How is it a "clone" when you buy an entire macbook, mod it and resell it? There's at least one manufacturer of ruggedized macs (at least the older G5 Xserves) with Apple's blessing...enough that we buy them through our Apple rep.

The secret to a useful tablet is in the SOFTWARE. Better handwriting solution, better support throughout the apps, etc (beyond inkwell). Something Apple could do if they had a mind to. Something Axiotron can't do. Something better than OneNote or InkPad.

Still...probably good enough to stop the erosion of macs in the medical arena.

I might get one if its smaller than a normal macbook and is semi-ruggedized.

It would have been smarter IMHO to use a 15" MBP as the basis and chop it down to 11" slate + docking station (drop the optical drive if need be). Maybe a BT keyboard + trackpad as a cover kinda like how Motion does theirs only make the table be able to prop itself up rather than using the keyboard to do it.

Vinea
  • Reply 13 of 28
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Still...probably good enough to stop the erosion of macs in the medical arena.

Vinea

I agree. Tablets seem to have the most promise in health care IMO. Good tablet + good EMR = holy grail.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    As an owner of a tablet and a nurse at a very tech savvy hospital, I'm not sure the real world agrees with you. I've all but stopped using mine as anything but a laptop and I never see them at work. As much as I would love to see Apple do a tablet, I don't think they have lost a single sale by not having one.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Oh, and I am the only one who thinks that Roxio's announcement amounts to nothing more than TivoToGo, except that Mac users again will have to pay for something Windows users get for free?

I hope I am wrong and this is software/hardware to make your mac into an HD Tivo with real Tivo software.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasong View Post

As much as I would love to see Apple do a tablet, I don't think they have lost a single sale by not having one.

Well, I'm 100% certain they've lost thousands (tens, maybe hundreds of thousands) of sales (which I'm sure any mainly Mac using site that got stuck buying Tablet PCs would tell you). BUT, that doesn't mean it would be profitable for Apple to produce and sell one.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't think current tablets and software are good either but I do think there is the potential to develope something good. I also own a tablet for my practice and am dissappointed with several aspects of it as well.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Mac Ta-ta-ta-TeeVo?

Is this something the writer knows, or is this just a guess?

Quote:

ModBook tablet

This has been done before. That is, taking a Mac and re assembling it into a different form. It was done before Apple put out their first portable, many years ago.

The question is, just how expensive will it be. All the work they have done, including the R&D, must be added to the cost of the original machine. Doesn't seem to be worthwhile.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I apologize that I don't know of any other correlation that is similar enough, but I don't think it's less legal than a conversion van or Saleen Mustang. Use the original unit, make enough changes and make sure it's clear that what it is, and it should be OK. There are/were some high end electronics brands that take an off-the shelf piece of consumer electronics and modify/replace the analog circuitry for improved output quality. The original manufacturer still gets its money because they have to have the original to modify it, and given that it's a fairly major change, it's not really direct competition either. It's also pretty clear what it is too. If they built a knock-off from scratch rather than modifying an original, then I can see the problem.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't get a clear understanding if the report writer knows that TiVo is a specific brand of PVR technology rather than a generic name for a PVR. There's a chance that Roxio could have licenced the technology from TiVo because TiVo is a technology that is licenced to other hardware makers.

The current Mac PVR software pretty much boils down to EyeTV, and there is some third party hardware supported by the same EyeTV software, such as Miglia's tuners. The generel user interface ease-of-use of the EyeTV software is pretty good, but it's not very robust in my opinion, it crashes, stalls flakes out from time to time. Using the exposé "Application Windows" mode reliably makes the playback screen go black, which I bring back using the "All Windows" mode.