Networking!

cbacba
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, my school has a windows 2000 network, yep, I know, very advanced.....!

I want to plug in my MacBook Pro, and be undetected....not that I want to hack or anything....I wouldn't know how to, I don't know even if I would be able to! I am just not really allowed to connect it to the network, and I was wondering how I would do it, just so I can get my e-mail and get my widgets working! If there is a way do do all of this, I would love to know!!....thank you very much!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Assuming the network uses DHCP, you should be able to plugin and get an IP address and go... of course, the assignment of an IP address will be logged somewhere on a server, so you won't be undetected.

Even if you assigned yourself an IP address within the address space of the network, your computer will show up in arp caches, so again, you won't be undetected.

In all seriousness, if you're not supposed to be there, don't! Many schools don't take this sort of thing lightly and explusion can be the result, especially if they think you were there for malicious reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Some networks I've been on only allowed a certain number of IP addresses that were preassigned. In order to connect, you had to ask for them to give you a fixed IP address. However, I had a laptop too. All I had to do was look at the IP of one of the preassigned computers, pull out its ethernet cable and then use that IP. Turning the computer off has the same effect but it's harder to check the network details.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    That would work too, but on very strict networks, the introduction of a new MAC address onto a "fixed" network would probably be noticed by network monitoring. I'm not saying this is the case, but it's certainly a possibility, especially in a network where accountibility is important.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My old high school used some sort of Novel software you needed to connect. I have never seen it again, but then again I graduated 7 years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Novell Netware is probably what you're referring to.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    You can change your MAC address to spoof the original computer as well, if it comes down to it. Not all network hardware supports this, but most do.
    sudo ifconfig en0 ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    This has come in ...handy... several times.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    That's an option as well as long as the OP knows the MAC address of one of the PCs that are "allowed" to be on the network.