Some problems about boot camp and imac's CPU

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello.

I installed boot camp to my 20" iMac. I tried playing some games on windows. For example, Battlefield 2 is working smooth with all details on. But there are annoying shadows. Shadows have very pixelled outline. I don't know how to describe but maybe i can say it looks like a software simulation. The annoying point is, shadows on my weapon and vehicles looks weird and uncomfortable. All graphics except shadows are great.

I tried NFS:Most Wanted and it has the same problem. Shadows are very low quality. Even if i turn all settings on.

Does anyone encountered something like this? If you did, how can i fix that or isn't there a solution for this? I tried to update my gpu driver from ati's website (ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, i think this is a laptop gpu, why did apple do this? Maybe imac is too narrow for standart cpus. ) but that couldn't do it. Said something like "contact your laptop manufacturer.".

Second problem;

When I boot OS X, it works slower than before i installed winxp. If I save something to desktop, it disappears but when i search it, i find it and it appears again in desktop. It's a bit weird. Isn't it? Is this problem causing from the last OS X update?

And my wireless connection does not connect automatically like good ol' days Things are going bad. I don't want to reformat my mac again.

Ouch! Did I wrote that? It's gone too long I need some solutions please.

PS: Oops. I accidentally wrote CPU instead of GPU for thread. I don't know how to change that. Or maybe i can't change. Mods if you want, you can correct my topic. Sorry for that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Try Omega drivers for the video card, it may help a bit. Bad shadows does sound a bit odd though... As for the rest of your issues, I'm really not sure.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graphical_chaos View Post

I installed boot camp to my 20" iMac. I tried playing some games on windows. For example, Battlefield 2 is working smooth with all details on. But there are annoying shadows. Shadows have very pixelled outline. I don't know how to describe but maybe i can say it looks like a software simulation. The annoying point is, shadows on my weapon and vehicles looks weird and uncomfortable. All graphics except shadows are great.

Do you have soft shadows turned on maybe? I tried that in FEAR and the shadows didn't look too great. I wouldn't have said pixellated though. Do you mean aliased i.e a jagged outline? To get rid of that, turn on FSAA (I think the iMac can deal with 4x). Maybe anisotropic filtering helps shadows. Try that first and put it up to at least 8x. The iMac is very good with AF but FSAA can slow things down a bit.

Quote:

i think this is a laptop gpu, why did apple do this?

To save on power consumption, heat and as you say form factor. I don't know about 3rd party drivers for the graphics. The drivers CD that you install are ones that Apple provides and I wouldn't have thought there would be any better ones. I'm sure that's one of the big problems they had before Bootcamp because games weren't running properly with other drivers.

Quote:

When I boot OS X, it works slower than before i installed winxp. If I save something to desktop, it disappears but when i search it, i find it and it appears again in desktop. It's a bit weird. Isn't it? Is this problem causing from the last OS X update?

And my wireless connection does not connect automatically like good ol' days Things are going bad. I don't want to reformat my mac again.

That's odd. The iMac that I used with Bootcamp actually booted faster than usual after Windows was installed. Maybe you should try running Disk utility and see if it comes up with any errors.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I took some screenshots. Shadows look perfect from a distance but when I'm nearer, they look like these:

I tried all max. AA options from GPU properties and video settings ingame. Game is running perfectly smooth. But it didn't help the shadows.

Maybe when Leopard comes, apple can support GPU with more drivers.

PS: I'm playing F.E.A.R. Combat with all details at max smoothly and it has no probs. with shadows.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

I tried all max. AA options from GPU properties and video settings ingame. Game is running perfectly smooth. But it didn't help the shadows.

Maybe when Leopard comes, apple can support GPU with more drivers.

PS: I'm playing F.E.A.R. Combat with all details at max smoothly and it has no probs. with shadows.

It could actually be the game itself. Here someone has the same issue in Batlle for Middle earth and FEAR and BF2 are fine:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t12206.html

Is the game itself up to date?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I think it can be true. My game isn't up to date. Thanks for the help. I'll try.

And my problem about disappearing desktop files in mac has solved. I didn't do anything. There was a picture and a empty folder. I deleted them and mac finished doing that odd thing( Also this is odd. ). It's working faster now.

PS: Bad news! My files at desktop are disappearing again! I save my work to desktop when using photoshop but i see nothing there. Then i search for name of the file, i find it. Then it appears on desktop again. What the heck? Ghost files? Need help. I accidentally did permissions repair with disk utility instead of disk repair. Can it cause things like that? And one more thing. When i turn my computer on, airport looks like connected. I try to connect a website but it says not connected.I turn airport off and on then it connects again and i can use internet. What can cause this? Anyone having problems like these after downloading the latest OS update? ( Version 10.4.8 )