Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 439
    600 clams is a lot for something with 8 GB of storage. I'd rather is was a tad thicker and sported the 80GB drive in the iPod Video. I mean for that cash it needs to replace the iPod Video. Its a Nano + Best PDA Ever, granted, but that's not the "ultimate device". iPod Video plus Best PDA Ever would have been.

Its the coolest device I've seen, but I'm not sure it fits into my life. I need more storage than that for an all-in-one device. Losing 80GB from iPod Video means having to buy another hard drive. Enter iTV I guess, but that's only 40.

I think there is a storage discontinuity here.
  • Reply 22 of 439
    Seeing that you get a 4G ipod and a celly/smartphone/PDA, the price seems right at 499. Which is the model I'm getting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

IMO, the most "stunning" part of the announcement is the high price.

• Reply 23 of 439
    ukuserukuser Posts: 39member
    I Love That Phone!

And Its Also Gonna Be In The Uk

Thankyou So Much Apple!
  • Reply 24 of 439
    This isn't a iPod replacement. It's a smartphone with iPod capabilities. This trumps anyhpone (going by spec) on the market in the same price range.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

600 clams is a lot for something with 8 GB of storage. I'd rather is was a tad thicker and sported the 80GB drive in the iPod Video. I mean for that cash it needs to replace the iPod Video. Its a Nano + Best PDA Ever, granted, but that's not the "ultimate device". iPod Video plus Best PDA Ever would have been.

Its the coolest device I've seen, but I'm not sure it fits into my life. I need more storage than that for an all-in-one device. Losing 80GB from iPod Video means having to buy another hard drive. Enter iTV I guess, but that's only 40.

I think there is a storage discontinuity here.

• Reply 25 of 439
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I agree with the rest of the board, simply stunning

But.....now this only leaves the question, when is the iPod going to be updated? Surely Apple have to compete on the hard drive based music/video players as well
  • Reply 26 of 439
    So what happened to "iPhone" already being trademarked???
  • Reply 27 of 439
    mcr34mcr34 Posts: 5member
    It is tough to see where the iPod goes from here.

The major attraction of switching to the iPhone, as it appears to me, is the new iPod interface, the addition of coverflow and the widescreen video capability.

And Apple knows that -- its almost certainly why they haven't announced a new iPod with that functionality and no phone attached. The iPod stuff will drag in switchers.

But I, and I would guess many other people, don't want to change my phone number, and don't want to use Cingular as my provider.

So when will I be able to upgrade my iPod without signing a contract?

Apple might wait a year or more to make the changes -- to prevent losing customers for its phone. But in the meantime it will seem far less attractive to buy a 5G iPod, given how good the new iPhone interface looks.

So how can Apple continue to innovate with the 5G, as it has to, and not cannibalise its iPhone sales?
  • Reply 28 of 439
    I love the phone don't get me wrong. But this however just seemed like the biggest announcement I've ever seen that screamed it needed an upgrade before it was even released since a Treo.

4 or 8gb? Just looking at the video of this phone on the apple website and I have to think on the ipod demo that all of those albums they are flipping through couldn't fit on 8gb. Never mind trying to put much video content for the wide screen on 8gb.

I don't even object too much to a 2 year Cingular contract, except I am utterly convinced that by this time next year they will be announcing 30 and 80gb hard drive versions of the same product.
  • Reply 29 of 439
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    i hate to do this, but i just saw this at the bottom of the page of the iphone.

'This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained'

• Reply 30 of 439
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I wonder who will supply it in canada, I'm with fido so hopefully them.

Fido would be unlikely. It'll probably be Rogers.

It's interesting that Apple talks about the US, Europe, and Asia getting the phone, but leaves out Canada. My guess is that Canada gets the iPhone at the same time that Europe does.

Another thought: I notice that the iTV is re-named appleTV. It makes me wonder why the iPhone was not (re-)named applePhone. Am I the only one who thinks that would have made sense?
  • Reply 31 of 439
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Wow, it'a an Apple Blackberry. Or is that "Appleberry"?

I wonder who will be the carrier in Canada?
  • Reply 32 of 439
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    Sorry disappointed wasn't the word I was looking for at all! This is a huge achievement and is a f*ckin amazing device- unfortunately the high price and no option to not have it as a phone means I won't be getting one. (Also just found out it's coming out in fourth Q over in the UK, so won't have to wait as long to at least play with one!)
  • Reply 33 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcr34 View Post

It is tough to see where the iPod goes from here.

The major attraction of switching to the iPhone, as it appears to me, is the new iPod interface, the addition of coverflow and the widescreen video capability.

And Apple knows that -- its almost certainly why they haven't announced a new iPod with that functionality and no phone attached. The iPod stuff will drag in switchers.

But I, and I would guess many other people, don't want to change my phone number, and don't want to use Cingular as my provider.

So when will I be able to upgrade my iPod without signing a contract?

Apple might wait a year or more to make the changes -- to prevent losing customers for its phone. But in the meantime it will seem far less attractive to buy a 5G iPod, given how good the new iPhone interface looks.

So how can Apple continue to innovate with the 5G, as it has to, and not cannibalise its iPhone sales?

Yeah I think Apple put them selves in a real tough situation. I want a new iPod that will have much more than just 8 GBs! I think we will see much of the iPhone interface in the new iPod. After all, one is a phone with iPod features and one will just be an iPod. Should be easy enough.
  • Reply 34 of 439
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    duplicate...
  • Reply 35 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

I love the phone don't get me wrong. But this however just seemed like the biggest announcement I've ever seen that screamed it needed an upgrade before it was even released since a Treo.

4 or 8gb? Just looking at the video of this phone on the apple website and I have to think on the ipod demo that all of those albums they are flipping through couldn't fit on 8gb. Never mind trying to put much video content for the wide screen on 8gb.

I don't even object too much to a 2 year Cingular contract, except I am utterly convinced that by this time next year they will be announcing 30 and 80gb hard drive versions of the same product.

You can very easily fit seven albums with 4 GB (which are how many pictured)....besides the way iTunes organizes music with coverflow is by artwork regardless of how many songs you have from the album so I would assume the iPhone does the same.
  • Reply 36 of 439
    iveive Posts: 23member
    We miss GPS !!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 439
    But does it sync seemlessly with addressbook, ical, etc?
  • Reply 38 of 439
    This will happen, but probably not until pre-xmas 2007 so as to give the iphone a chance to do some damage. 4 and 8GB are cool for a phone, but for those of us who need massive storage in one handy pocket-fitting device 100GB will be a must. AND it will be just as cool as the iphone, sleek, thin, and touchscreen.

This year is going to huge for Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You can very easily fit seven albums with 4 GB (which are how many pictured)....besides the way iTunes organizes music with coverflow is by artwork regardless of how many songs you have from the album so I would assume the iPhone does the same.

Well yes I will give you the cover art regardless of how many songs, but if you look at the demo on apples site they are scrolling through WAY more than 7 albums. Add to that 7 albums a movie or two, various videos of star wars kids and monkey's sniffing their butts, and a bunch of photos and 8gb doesn't feel so big.
  • Reply 40 of 439
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    waitaminute

does it play the iPod games? Notes? All the iPod features or not? Is that what the More.. icon has?

AND where is the card slot for adding memory?

bah.