No Leopard, but OS X in iPhone?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Interesting keynote, not a word about Leopard, but we get OS X embedded in the iPhone and it looks very good....Leopard black.

So where's the Leopard announcements? More to come this week?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Interesting keynote, not a word about Leopard, but we get OS X embedded in the iPhone and it looks very good....Leopard black.

So where's the Leopard announcements? More to come this week?

Also no iLife or iWork announcements...makes me wonder if Leopard is going to bundle those two suites as some have suggested.

Otherwise, it could be that there are new features in Leopard which will the new versions require to work properly. So no new iLife or iWork until Leopard?????
  • Reply 2 of 83
    I do wish they had at least announced a date for Leopard....oh well....and the wait goes on....
  • Reply 3 of 83
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The more I think about it, the more I think this is false. I think Steve said it metaphorically...as in "OS X has beautiful fluid graphics, so does this iPhone" or "Look, CoreAnimation and Safari within the iPhone...it's OS X".

Deep down I think we all know this is not OS X...it's a different OS that uses some OS X elements: CoreAnimation and WebKit (which means Widgets will work too)...you *could* call it a heavily slimmed down OS X but it's no way the OS X we know.

It might be a hint of what Leopard will look like though.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I sure hope not.

This Core Animation stuff is great for the iPhone, but not for a general purpose OS.

Webdevelopers, musicians and video editors don't want 3d sliding windows, they want effeciency.

I think Leopard will have the blueish graphics we see on the iPhone and in iTunes, but Core Animations nicely tucked away in Dashboard. First think I'll do is to turn off the dashboard service :-)
  • Reply 5 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

I sure hope not.

This Core Animation stuff is great for the iPhone, but not for a general purpose OS.

Webdevelopers, musicians and video editors don't want 3d sliding windows, they want effeciency.

I think Leopard will have the blueish graphics we see on the iPhone and in iTunes, but Core Animations nicely tucked away in Dashboard. First think I'll do is to turn off the dashboard service :-)

Think multi-touch pads and keyboards, baby!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 83
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

The more I think about it, the more I think this is false. I think Steve said it metaphorically...as in "OS X has beautiful fluid graphics, so does this iPhone" or "Look, CoreAnimation and Safari within the iPhone...it's OS X".

Deep down I think we all know this is not OS X...

Apple marketing speech says, it is: http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html.

Still, I agree, I think it's sorta "OS X mobile", a stripped-down version of OS X with an UI that fits a small screen.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    What other events can they announce Leopard features at? I was really disappointed it didn't get a mention. Even a couple of features would have been nice or a hint that everything is going smoothly. Of course, they don't want to let these 'secret' features out before Microsoft ships Vista in 3 weeks - I'm beginning to think this is a sneaky way of buying some time.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Of course, they don't want to let these 'secret' features out before Microsoft ships Vista in 3 weeks - I'm beginning to think this is a sneaky way of buying some time.

But why!? This was Apple's last chance to strike doubt into the minds of people thinking about buying Vista. Apple's chance is gone now...people will buy Vista and stick with it for 3-4 years no matter how awesome the secret features that will be announced after the Vista release will be.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

The more I think about it, the more I think this is false. ...

Deep down I think we all know this is not OS X...it's a different OS that uses some OS X elements: CoreAnimation and WebKit (which means Widgets will work too)...

I totally disagree. Remove the bundled apps (such as Garageband), drivers, and support files which a phone does not need and MacOS X easily fits within the available storage on an iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I totally disagree. Remove the bundled apps (such as Garageband), drivers, and support files which a phone does not need and MacOS X easily fits within the available storage on an iPhone.

And you know the memory capacity of the iPhone do you? Thats is for the general running of the mobile.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

But why!? This was Apple's last chance to strike doubt into the minds of people thinking about buying Vista. Apple's chance is gone now...people will buy Vista and stick with it for 3-4 years no matter how awesome the secret features that will be announced after the Vista release will be.

Apple is not held down to only making announcements at MacWorld SF in the second week of January. We still have two more weeks and Apple could update the Leopard site anytime they desire. Calm down
  • Reply 12 of 83
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

I think there is another flash drive with the OS embeded rather it be on the main flash drive. Otherwise we would only get like 6 or 7 GBs/ 2 or 3 GBs of space on the drive that's meant for photos and videos and stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

But why!? This was Apple's last chance to strike doubt into the minds of people thinking about buying Vista.

Although Vista is scheduled for release this month or so (if I am not mistaken, I have not followed closely), it may be that Apple still fears a... sudden delay in Vista's release if more about Leopard is revealed.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:

C'mon now...you don't seriously believe the iPhone OS can be called OS X do you? It's been stripped of absolutely everything.

Jobs was just trying to gather cheers from the crowd.

Almost everything on that phone was powered by WebKit...Safari, Mail, as well as the Stocks, Weather, Calculator widgets. WebKit is *not* OS X. Apple has added a few eye-candy effects powered perhaps by CoreAnimation or perhaps not...who knows.

Sure, if you remove all the device drivers that are related to computer peripherals, all the Apple apps and all the other files that have nothing to do with an iPhone, you can fit the thing on probably 200MB of space, but...that's not OS X, that's iPhone OS.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    My favorite was the fact Cocoa was mentioned and nothing about Carbon for the Phone.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

And you know the memory capacity of the iPhone do you? Thats is for the general running of the mobile.

Yes, and I also know the capacity required to hold a working installation of MacOS X. As I said in my previous post, MacOS X can easily fit within the space available on the iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Also no iLife or iWork announcements...makes me wonder if Leopard is going to bundle those two suites as some have suggested.

Otherwise, it could be that there are new features in Leopard which will the new versions require to work properly. So no new iLife or iWork until Leopard?????

For the first time I see that as a possibility. I would like to point out that Steve was using the new version of Keynote the entire time, I noticed a couple of Effects that I am pretty sure are not in Keynote 06.

Sebastian
  • Reply 18 of 83
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

My favorite was the fact Cocoa was mentioned and nothing about Carbon for the Phone.

It's pretty safe to assume that any application made for the iPhone will have to rely heavily on OS X in the iPhone for everything it does. Perhaps I am wrong, but Cocoa is the API for that sort of thing. Carbon was originally intended for transitioning from OS 9 to OS X. There would be no need for it in the iPhone.

Sebastian
  • Reply 19 of 83
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:

But why!?

Because Apple can. And can afford the extra wait. iPhone has blown the doors off Vista's Jan' spotlight for me.

When Leopard arrives, the troops storm Redmond...

Lemon Bon Bon